EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-17-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Windows04
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Overclocking core i7 920 to 3.0 GHZ

Hi everybody!

Well, i just bought a new pc .

- GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard
- Core i7 920 2.66 GHZ
- 3 x 2 GB Kingston DDR3-1600 memory

I want to overclock the processor to a max of 3.0/3.2 GHZ with the stock cooler.

I already read a lot about it and people say that 3.0 GHZ is possible with the stock cooler and that you only need to raise the Base Clock to 150 and lock all the other settings (like processor core voltage and uncore voltage) to their default (not Auto).

My question (obvious): Is that true? Can i get 3.0 GHZ with the stock cooler and by only raising the Base clock to 150 with this setup?

Thanks
Windows04

Last edited by Windows04 : 05-17-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Belgium  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Hickeydog
terrible human being

Theoretically, yes. But the only way that you'll know for certain is if you try it. Go for it.
United States  Offline
Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Windows04
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
Theoretically, yes. But the only way that you'll know for certain is if you try it. Go for it.
K thanks . Just read another guide telling that you need to lower the QPI frequency, the memory frequency and the memory for the best overclock. Does that also count for me or is that only if you wanna get higher than 3.2 GHZ (like 4.0 GHZ or something?).
Belgium  Offline
Old 05-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Draze
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows04 View Post
Hi everybody!

Well, i just bought a new pc .

- GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard
- Core i7 920 2.66 GHZ
- 3 x 2 GB Kingston DDR3-1600 memory

I want to overclock the processor to a max of 3.0/3.2 GHZ with the stock cooler.

I already read a lot about it and people say that 3.0 GHZ is possible with the stock cooler and that you only need to raise the Base Clock to 150 and lock all the other settings (like processor core voltage and uncore voltage) to their default (not Auto).

My question (obvious): Is that true? Can i get 3.0 GHZ with the stock cooler and by only raising the Base clock to 150 with this setup?

Thanks
Windows04
i have done 3.7ghz on the stocker, no HT though and temps were 82C load. It should do 3.0Ghz in its sleep. got to 3 for starters. Then set your volts at 1.2 (this is for C0) and see how high you can go on the BCLK. If your temps are still in check rasie your volts higher and then see if you can go any further on the BCLK. Which mobo are you using? Some mobos like a higher BCLK and the 19 multi, i had some good luck wit this on my setup, i got 3.8 running well and stable but temps were just a bit too high for my liking. I must add that the 200 BCLK needed made me add voltage to the IOH and other things i can tremember what.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Windows04
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draze View Post
i have done 3.7ghz on the stocker, no HT though and temps were 82C load. It should do 3.0Ghz in its sleep. got to 3 for starters. Then set your volts at 1.2 (this is for C0) and see how high you can go on the BCLK. If your temps are still in check rasie your volts higher and then see if you can go any further on the BCLK. Which mobo are you using? Some mobos like a higher BCLK and the 19 multi, i had some good luck wit this on my setup, i got 3.8 running well and stable but temps were just a bit too high for my liking. I must add that the 200 BCLK needed made me add voltage to the IOH and other things i can tremember what.
Sorry, but i really don't want to raise my voltage. I don't want to overclock it over the 3.2 GHZ and also my PSU isn't that good. Also, overclocking with voltages is too complicated for me.

The motherboard i'm using is an GA-EX58-UD5. I already did some calculations:
- If the core multiplier is 20x, i could set the base clock at 160 (=3.2 GHZ).
- Then the memory multiplier must be 10x (10 * 160= 1600 mhz).
- Uncore frequency must be 20x (because the uncore frequency is 2x memory multiplier).
- QPI frequency must be 40x (= 6400 and that's the standard speed for this board).

Am i correct here?
Belgium  Offline
Old 05-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Draze
Learning To Overclock

if you arent even bothering with voltages is the only thing you need to change is BCLK. Put memory mulitplier at 10 and leave everythign else at auto apart from BLCK. I would put your volts to 1.2 or 1.8 since some chips use this at stock anyway, the AUTO sttings for vCore always grossly overestimates trhe amount needed so for PSU and cooling reasons manual vCore would be better.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Windows04
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draze View Post
if you arent even bothering with voltages is the only thing you need to change is BCLK. Put memory mulitplier at 10 and leave everythign else at auto apart from BLCK. I would put your volts to 1.2 or 1.8 since some chips use this at stock anyway, the AUTO sttings for vCore always grossly overestimates trhe amount needed so for PSU and cooling reasons manual vCore would be better.
Do i only need to lock the vCore or do i also need to lock some other voltages?

If i set my multiplier at 10, then don't I need to change my uncore frequency also manually (or will it automatically change to 20x?).

Also, about the QPI frequency. I just read that the core i7 920 supports a standard QPI frequency of 4.8 GT/s. I have only 3 multipliers: 36x,44x and 48x. But if i set the Base Clock to 160, then even with the 36x multiplier, i get a 5.7 GT/s. Can it be dangerous for the QPI frequency to be so high? Or can i just leave it to auto and will it then automatically drop to an 30x multiplier, so the QPI is 4.8 GT/s ?
Belgium  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Draze
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Do i only need to lock the vCore or do i also need to lock some other voltages?

If i set my multiplier at 10, then don't I need to change my uncore frequency also manually (or will it automatically change to 20x?).

Also, about the QPI frequency. I just read that the core i7 920 supports a standard QPI frequency of 4.8 GT/s. I have only 3 multipliers: 36x,44x and 48x. But if i set the Base Clock to 160, then even with the 36x multiplier, i get a 5.7 GT/s. Can it be dangerous for the QPI frequency to be so high? Or can i just leave it to auto and will it then automatically drop to an 30x multiplier, so the QPI is 4.8 GT/s ?
i have been read that the QPI should be as low as it can go. Mine runs 5.7 fine and as long as you are on the lowest multi i dotn think QPI will be the limiting factor for any overclock. For all intents and purposes yes your vCore does need to be locked, i put mine at 1.2 before i started seing temperature increases on stock cooling and managed push the BCLK a fair bit further than 160. I think i hit around the 180 mark before i started needing to bump voltages further. I also suggest locking the vDimm at 1.65 or as near as possible because levels higher than this are damaging to your processor apparently. if you are really up for some tweaking then drop your CPU multi to 19x and then push up the BCLK. some boards can hit higher CPU clocks on lower volts this way but it may require some extra tweaking of voltages on the IOH and others which i cant rmember . Uncore clock is something i dont know to much about but when i was tweaking to get a higher BCLK on low multi i set mine to twice my memory speed plus one for example my memory multi would be 6 so uncore would be 13, memory multi would be 8, uncore would be 17.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
Windows04
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Allright then .
1) Lock the vcore en the vdimm.
2) core multiplier at 20 x and base clock at 160 (=3.2 GHZ).
3) memory multiplier at 10 x (= 1600 mhz).
4) Uncore frequency at 20x (or 21 if i use 2x memory multiplier + 1) -> just going to see with that .
5) QPI at lowest as possible (which is 36x, which means 5.7 GT/s).

THANKS so much .

Last question: With these settings (and the stock cooler) can i have HT and Turbo mode on or will that overheat the CPU?
Belgium  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Draze
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Allright then .
1) Lock the vcore en the vdimm.
2) core multiplier at 20 x and base clock at 160 (=3.2 GHZ).
3) memory multiplier at 10 x (= 1600 mhz).
4) Uncore frequency at 20x (or 21 if i use 2x memory multiplier + 1) -> just going to see with that .
5) QPI at lowest as possible (which is 36x, which means 5.7 GT/s).

THANKS so much .

Last question: With these settings (and the stock cooler) can i have HT and Turbo mode on or will that overheat the CPU?
1.2 with ht on sounds a bit hot for stock. I wold really encourage you to push up the BCLK more than up to 160, you can get a lot more than 3.2 out of 1.2 volts so just see how highu can push it before ou start getting random crashes and things. Turn turbo mode off when ocing, its not needed and will just create extra heat. If you want HT try setting vCore around 1.15 maybe a bit higher for 3.2 to keep the heat down. Remember more vcore equals more heat so the goal is the lowest vcore possible and if your temps are in check try HT.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Windows04
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I know i could set de BCK to more than 160, but won't the temperature be too high (with the stock cooler?)? Also, my memory is 1600 mhz and i would really like to maintain that (i have the multipliers 6x,8x,10x).

This is also my very first overclock, so i'm not that familiar with voltages and would really like to just stay off of it (or just lock it to the defaults xD).

Also, i don't see the vdimm voltage that i need to lock... Here is a screenshot of my bios (advanced voltages) screen:
http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/680/bios19.jpg

So, i need to lock the vCore (which is obvious the first choice) and then? (Do you mean the DRAM voltage?)

Last edited by Windows04 : 05-18-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Belgium  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
Draze
Learning To Overclock

yeah Dram voltage should be at 1.65, put your vCore to 1.25 see how you do. Increasing BCLK doesnt increase heat. Increasing voltage does but to gain high BCLK you must also have high voltage thus at save vCore levels you will have a similar amount of heat whatever the BCLK is. I would reccomend setting your RAM one multi slower than its stock setting whilst you are overclocking and then once your CPU is stabily overclocked increasing your ram to its rated settings. This just rules out RAM if you have instability overclocking.
If you inly have the three multis for ram i would reccomend going for the 8xmulti and trying to get a 180BCLK stable for 1600mhz. This would give you 3.6ghz on the 20x multi and if you run into problems drop your CPU multi to 19x.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
Windows04
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

And even when i increase the DRAM voltage, my ram doesn't overheat (with the standard cooler?).

Also, won't my ram be slower (i'm just running it at 1440 mhz, 180*8)?

And, if i lock my vcore and DRAM voltage at the defaults (1.3 and 1.5) could i raise the BCLK to 160 safely without overheating?
Belgium  Offline
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #14
Draze
Learning To Overclock

you arent increasing DRAM voltage, your just locking it at stock settings, yes run your ram 1 multi slower whilst your are overclockingm this just rules out your ram if you have any instabilities but when you overclock is stable increase it again. Dont put your vCore at 1.3 though, 1.2 is fine, and yes you can put BCLK at 160 without iverheating.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
Windows04
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

K, as you can see in the picture, the vcore is 1.3 so why can't i put it at 1.3 if it's stock settings xD.

I can't set my memory multiplier 1 multi slower, it's always 2 multi slower. So if i put it at 180, than i could set the multiplier at 8x (1440) or 10x (1800)...

But anyway, I think i will just set the BClK at 160, QPI at 40x (6.4 GT/s and that's the highest this board and the 920 can reach), memory at 10x (1600) and then the uncore at 20x (or 21x). Then I just need the standard cooler and i don't need to change any voltage (except lock the vcore at default, which is 1.3 and the Dram at default, which is 1.5).
Belgium  Offline
Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
Draze
Learning To Overclock

1.3 ISNT stock, no matter what your mobo tells you. go max at 1.25. also your dram should always be given 1.65 on i7
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
Windows04
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Mmm... k then :s. Well, then lock the vcore at 1.2 and lock the Dramm voltage at 1.65. Thanks .
Belgium  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply