EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Project / Build Logs
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Saibot
Master Noobie

The Pocketbike Casemod i7 Build! *COMPLETED sept 06, Updated Oct 06th*

Actual update logs IN POSTS: 1,6,7,8, 19, 25,44,47,48,49,54,61
**THIS BUILD IS NOW: COMPLETE!!**

Link to finished post:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...8&postcount=61

Introduction:
Hello all! this is.. my FIRST case-mod thingy done from scratch. I'm not buying a case, but simply turning an every day vehicle (not really) into a computer case!

I'm not sure how many of you know what a pocket bike is, so i'm gona go ahead and explain. A pocket bike is basically a miniature motorcycle that resembles a sport bike except its about 40 inches long and 10~20 inches wide. They are not street legal and run on 39, 49 or 50 cc engines. Some may also classify Midi bikes (bikes with 110-120 cc engines) as pocketbikes. Anyways, I'm a pocket bike enthusiast who likes fixing up bikes and riding them around, pi$$ing off my neighboors with the massive amount of pollution from the exaust and the extremely loud engine sounds. I also like the new i7 processor, so i decided to combine them. I HEREBY WELCOME YOU TO MY i7 POCKETBIKE WORKLOG!!!!

THE BUILD
Corsair tx750
Intel i7 920 C0 stepping
Asus P6T
OCZ 3gb ddr3-1333 @ 7-7-7-24
EVGA 9800 GTX+
1x WD 1TB HDD
A pocketbike
Lots of lights

Reason:
First up I have my pocket bike. I have 2 pocket bikes. One is a 50 cc Banshee Sho which is a liquid cooled (haha) pocketbike that runs up to 110 kmph (70 MPH). My other one is my first bike which i bought in 2006 from a guy who modded it (ironic) to be furry. The bike was built in 2003 and currently is a pile of scrap metal waiting to be thrown out. When i was cleaning out my shed, i noticed it lying around in a puddle of grease so i decided, HEY! why not? i have a new i7 mobo + cpu + ram, might as well build it into the pocket bike!

Heres some pictures from 2006.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

DAY1 :
Disassembly and removal of GREASE!

After lying around for a good 3 years doing nothing, it doesnt start up and requires about 200 dollars worth of parts to fix to get up and running again. Hardly worth it considering i bought it for 130 dollars.
So i decided to take it apart and see wht i could do with it.

Taking it out of the shed today, i noticed not only was it covered in grease/oil, but also spider webs and rat poop. Anyways, i started disassembling it.

I was looking around and i saw that the engine + clutch + exhaust + everything was held up on a small little metal platform... Hmmm... this could be used:

SO i removed all the fairings and gas tank. This left the engine assembly + exhaust + pull start + clutch exposed.

I decided to be lazy and not take them apart separately. Instead, i flipped the bike over to loosen the bolts holding the engine to the support plate. UGH GREASY!!@!@

And now, i removed the engine! wooooo. the entire bike frame is exposed and now i can start washing/repainting it.

and heres the platform that i plan on using to hold the mobo tray + mobo + everything.

BTW, i also began cleaning and painting it with a light coat of gold. it was dark outside so i was spraypainting blindly lol... i'll post pictures of the paint job tomorrow.

oh yea, heres my i7 stuff that arrived [Thanks to cecil!]:

i7 920
Asus P6T (plain)
3gb OCZ Platinums ddr3-1333 @ 7-7-7-24

I already have a Corsair TX750 and a Evga 9800 GTX+ sitting around with 1.5 tb of harddrives... so my computer needs are all done.. Other than that, i'm just waiting on my TRUE to arrive before i being overclocking the hell outta the 920 and sticking it in my pocketbike.

Last edited by Saibot : 10-06-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

This should be cool, I am eager to see how it works..
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

Take your time just like the Angel build from chinny, no rush, more time you give it the better it will be, ill be monitoring cause this deffinately potential there, maybe you could add a electric engine of some sort get going again, that would be one slick ride, pc and motorbike all in one petite package, cause youd have to get like a 7" tft mounted were the speedometer should be, but then what the heck its not road legal anyway right
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
Neox69
Ike

Interesting build, can't wait to see the end result...
United States  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
dannybeckett
h2o, oh-, h30+.

nice idea =D
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Saibot
Master Noobie

Day 2
Mini update: Painting and getting new parts.
Cant do anymore due to lack of parts :'(

Today is victoria day!... overnight, i coated the frame of the bike with a golden gold (lol) paint... unfortunately, i was spraying blindly with the spray paint because it was dark outside. i got some on the wheeles and brakes :'(

Anyways, i started peeling the "skin" off of the actual plastic fairings of the bike. To my dismay, the inside was covered in GLUE! and had all this dirty crap stuck to it after 6 years of sitting there and soaking up leaked gasoline and oil.

it was horribly disgusting BLAH! the other part, the seat, however wasnt too bad considering my clean a$$ was sitting on it all day long. So i painted the frame and the seat.

I'm going out later today to buy new fairings for the bike... i cant work with nasty rat-poop and glue covered fairings...

Still waiting for my TRUE to arrive and a good deal on a cheap case that i can use to cut out the mobo tray from

Last edited by Saibot : 05-18-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Saibot
Master Noobie

Day 3
CPU case arrived + fairings. Mobo tray removed, bike put together

Today (yesterday) i spent a long time doing this mod... I finally got a case (for 10 dollars ) and pocket bike fairings (40 dollars). The case was actually pretty nice. it was pretty much brand new (except for a bit of dust on the inside) and painted beautifully with no scratches or anything. The front bezel was pretty good. it had a start/restart button + 2 usb ports and auto i/o. I actually kinda felt bad for cutting it up afterwards.

Poor case... i took it apart.. here come the pictures O_O... there are like 5000 of them lol.

so anyways, i began removing the bezel and taking apart what i could with a screw driver. you can see the power button/reset button removed and the usb ports about to get ripped out

heres the back of the bezel. the auto i/o and the usb ports are here. it looked pretty easy to remove at first. two screws.... but the screws hardly did anything. i ended up breaking the plastic bezel with pliers to get the i/o chip out lol..

Success!! the important guts of the case have been removed!. now its time to cut up the metal.

So i removed all the screws i could from the frame... and then... DISASTER STRUCK!

There were RIVETS!@!@!@!

so here: Welcome to my
Rivet Removal Guide

I have no fancy tools at all in my house/ i did most of this work outside in my back yard so i wouldnt get aluminum dust everywhere. anyways, removing a rivet takes ~3 steps. its quite easy once you get a hang of it.

Tools needed:
Metal File
BIG hammer
A Strong nail

So first, i have my victim, a rivet.

Then i start filing it down as far as it goes, untill its practically flat.

heres the rivet after being filed down.

And then you take a nail and give it a GOOD SMACK (with a hammer of corse)!

It should go right through the rivet

Then you pull it out and walaaaa.. a hole without a rivet!!

Congradulations, you have successfully removed a rivet!

Worklog continued in next post (cant post all pictures).
Canada  Offline
Old 05-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Saibot
Master Noobie

Anyways, so theres my guide on how to remove a rivet. i pretty much tore my case apart and removed ever rivet (there were like 30 lol... took me ~2 hours)

So after a bit of fiddling and fondling (not really) with teh case, i got the entire side plate of the case out. Unfortunately, it was too big so i cut it down

as you can tell, im not too good at using a dremel. heres the before and after pics of the dremel cutting disk lol....

anyways, eventually i got the motherboard tray cut out.

Oh ****, i forgot to mention/take pics of the pocketbike parts that came. anyways, i basically spraypainted everything. the plan for the pb is a blue/gold and black paint scheme. Up above, you can see the entire bike frame + fairings put on. I also tried sticking the mobo tray in, and as you can see, its kinda visible :[

i removed the top fairing to show what the motherboard tray looks like inside the frame of the bike. Unfortunately, its very very squished so it looks like i'm gona need to modify the frame... woo... steel cutting, here i come (*****, time to bust out the angle grinder)

Heres the end of day 3. Later on today i'll be busting out my angle grinder and cutting some steel pocketbike frame (im not gona like it at all. last time i got metal pieces in my eye)
Canada  Offline
Old 05-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

I see some welding coming hehe, have fun, i like welding its my trade, i promise i wont be to cruel
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Saibot
Master Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthompsett View Post
I see some welding coming hehe, have fun, i like welding its my trade, i promise i wont be to cruel
i hope not!

i think the mobo tray would melt instantly if i tried to weld it lol...

actually, now that i see the result.. i may need to weld it. I'm gona go ahead and PM you for some advice mr danthompsett

Last edited by Saibot : 05-25-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
ki1LaCrAcK
I give up.

I like the blue and gold! Never seen a pocket bike PC before, pretty creative. I'll be watching
Sweden  Offline
Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

Nice work so far and very cool idea.

I agree that trying to weld this thin galvanized metal to the thicker bike frame could be trouble. Yes it's definitely possible but you will need a somewhat experienced welder to do a nice job without burning through. I'm sure you can get by with fabbing some brackets to mount the mobo and then just use rivets or a combination of screws and rivets.

Btw.. for this application you can just drill the rivets out with the right size bit. I'm pretty sure that would be 1/8". Just drill right through the center of the rivet and it won't effect the hole diameter. There are situations though where the materials may be softer than the rivets and you would need to use a techinique like yours. My hats off to you though for doing such a nice job by hand.

This is a lot of work but you could extend the fairing with fiberglass to cover the mobo tray. You might even be able to use some of the old fairing for doing this.

Watch those eyes.... I would use safety goggles for all that grinding.
United States  Offline
Old 05-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
Saibot
Master Noobie

yea, i went to home depot and asked the guys there how much it would be to rent a welder o_O... and they recommended i use a combintaiton of screws rivets and brackets with some JB weld epoxy (i think thats what it was called) to attach the mobo tray to the frame...

and regarding the eye protection... i dont have any specialized goggles so use the following:

A motorcycle helmet!! ! it blocks the sound and keeps my eyes protected..
and if you notice, i dont have a c-clamp or a vice either.. so i use my shoe

will be posting the next update as soon as i finish designing these bracket thingies o_O
Canada  Offline
Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
slash_2_2000
No fire? Go higher!

This mod is absolutely hilarious owing to the haphazard methodolgy. I love it. The image of you angle grinding wearing a helmet and a shoe will stay with me forever.

I imagine that when you finally meet your maker you will do so in a way glorious and instantaneously a number one hit in the annals of the Darwin Awards.

Subscribed!
Australia  Offline
Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
4-n-zics
End of line
Super Moderator

If you lose an appendage during this mod, I give you permission to post pics.
United States  Offline
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #16
hooah212002
Joke Ya Mind

Awesome! This is what it's all about. I never have the right tools to do the job. Improvisation is the best way to learn. Great job man.
United States  Offline
Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
nebuchanezzar
Is that smoke !?!?

Not usually interested in mods like this except as a passing glance...this however, is noteworthy. Looking forward to your finished product and good luck.
United States  Offline
Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #18
danthompsett
Resistance is Futile

Sorry i couldn't help, with any welding guidance, but i think the rivetting idear (no pun intended ) was probably the best idear in hinesight, yeah i was worrid about your foot there mate, but you just have to the best with whats affordable and available.

PS Thanks Drewmeister. Hes a very knowledgeable chap dont you think so guys?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Saibot
Master Noobie

DAY 4
Angle Grinder cutting and securing the mobo.

Today (actually this is a combination of two days of work. Basically what i did was i removed the "obstruction" present in the last build log posting and then i secured the motherboard tray to the frame of the bike.

As stated before, i like to use a full faced motorcycle helmet as eyeprotection , so i got that prepped up and started cutting.

Yes, i know i look young... i'm only 17 anyways

my friend didnt know how to take pics of me with my Nikon D80, so i told him to cut and i'd take pics

anyways, i ended up removing the entire engine mount because the entire thing was obstructing the motherboard tray.

After cutting, all the metal shards stuck to my magnetic screw driver. i thought this was pretty cool so i took some macro shots of it (^^,)

Anyways, so now that i cleared the area for motherboard mounting, i went out and bought some supplies. Originally, i had planned on making metal brackets to attach the motherboard at weird angles... but luckilly, my friend, who has also done some casemodding (he built a P3 into a wheeled suitcase with a monitor included lol... he eventually disassembled it because the monitor heat was overheating the case) suggested i use steel strapping. Aparently it works very well, so i went out and bought some and decided to give it a try. While at the hardware store, i also found these cool self-drilling metal screws, so i bought some of these too. now i dont have to drill into metal and then put a screw in (^^,)

A shot of the raw attaching materials i went out and bought.

Anyways, i started attaching the mobo tray to the frame w/ various amounts of steel strapping.

There were two points on the tray, however, where steel strapping didnt seem sensible. There was one point that was basically touching the frame, and another point that was really really really really far away... and using long peices of steel strapping isnt very strong.... so i decided to use part of the case aluminum i'd cut off earlier and use it to secure the part that was really really far away. I used a screw for teh part that was close to the frame.

Anyways, i eventually finished attaching the mobo tray to the frame.

This is all for today. i'll be probably modding the fairings abit so that the mobo tray isnt touching them so closely, and attaching the mobo to the tray in the next update.

Stay tuned
Canada  Offline
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #20
vistageek92
#include <kickass.h>

Omg, this is priceless. What a perfect idea lol. Dude, what kind of camera are you using? Some of your pictures are spectacular!

subscribed!
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply