EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
kadafee
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

(WIFI) strong signal but low speed HELP

i just purchased the alfa 500mw wifi adaptor, my router is in the ground floor and my computer is in the 2nd, i get 5 bars (excellent) but i dont always get the full 54mb's, it keeps switching from 54 to 36 to 11 and alot of the times it goes as low as 1 mb (as shown below), i bought a 9dbi antenna from ebay but that doesn't change a thing, infact i get more connections with the 2dbi supplied antenna than the 9dbi, i'm guessing its because its cheap it sucks.

anyways what do you guys recommend me doing?

i cant change the antennas on my router (belkin n1) because they are not removable, any other suggestions?

United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
azncapcom
Learning To Overclock

well first off, routers should b place on the 2nd floor not ground floor. Router signals spread downwards like an umbrella. One of the reasons its designed like this is because if the signals stretch upwards it'll be easier for ppl to steal your signal.

i've had people put the routers in the basement and have no signal at all on the 2nd floor. but when its reversed, there is quite good signal at the basement.

so i suggest trying that first, if not u might have a defective wifi adapter. (ive had a belkin n1 adapter do the same thing.)
Canada  Offline
Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
ELItheICEman
#define i 0x15

If you live in a moderately-populated area, I can assure you that many other people have routers running at the same frequency and probably the same channel as yours. See if you can't find an application that will survey all networks in the area and tell you which channels are being used - yours will probably be on the same channel as, say, four other ones.

Change to a relatively unused channel and you'll see improvement.
United States  Offline
Old 08-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
_MtM_
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELItheICEman View Post
If you live in a moderately-populated area, I can assure you that many other people have routers running at the same frequency and probably the same channel as yours. See if you can't find an application that will survey all networks in the area and tell you which channels are being used - yours will probably be on the same channel as, say, four other ones.

Change to a relatively unused channel and you'll see improvement.
+1 improved my range from inside the house to the square infront of it ( 30m or so ).

I think i found out with wifofum but not sure...
Netherlands  Offline
Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
kadafee
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncapcom View Post
well first off, routers should b place on the 2nd floor not ground floor. Router signals spread downwards like an umbrella. One of the reasons its designed like this is because if the signals stretch upwards it'll be easier for ppl to steal your signal.

i've had people put the routers in the basement and have no signal at all on the 2nd floor. but when its reversed, there is quite good signal at the basement.

so i suggest trying that first, if not u might have a defective wifi adapter. (ive had a belkin n1 adapter do the same thing.)
problem is my phone socket is on the ground floor.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Change the channel on your router to a different one and see if it helps.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 08-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
_MtM_
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadafee View Post
problem is my phone socket is on the ground floor.
Phone cable extenders aren't expensive in my experience? though you might want a repeater/signal booster when going two stories idk, trail and error!
Netherlands  Offline
Old 08-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
kadafee
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

guys i have tried a channel scanner and i changed my wifi channel to one nobody is using but still no help.

MtM phone cable extender is really not an option.

i guess maybe i should get a repeater, anyone have any experiences with them? do they work well/fast ?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
azncapcom
Learning To Overclock

have you tried another wireless adapter and see if the problem persists? if you dont have an extra one, try borrowing a friends. just to make sure its not the adapter itself thats the problem before you spend money on anything else
Canada  Offline
Old 08-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #10
kadafee
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncapcom View Post
have you tried another wireless adapter and see if the problem persists? if you dont have an extra one, try borrowing a friends. just to make sure its not the adapter itself thats the problem before you spend money on anything else
yes i have, infact i am on my third one

first one was a cheap one i picked up for 10 off ebay, got 2 bars, second was a Belkin N1, used to get about 3 bars but would often drop, last one is the alpha, i get almost all bars but speed keeps dropping.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
ELItheICEman
#define i 0x15

Perhaps this is just an extreme misunderstanding of how wireless access points work, but if the router is designed to give better reception below as opposed to above, couldn't you just flip it upside down to get stronger signal upstairs?
United States  Offline
Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
WordMasterRice
Caffeine Addict

It's not really true that it spreads downward. They use, in general, omnidirectional antennas.

I would try another adapter, maybe drivers too, it shouldn't be an issue with the router or signal.
United States  Offline
Old 08-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
kadafee
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindtalkerCS View Post
It's not really true that it spreads downward. They use, in general, omnidirectional antennas.

I would try another adapter, maybe drivers too, it shouldn't be an issue with the router or signal.
tried 3 different adapters
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
renowade
mildly unstable

guys maybe i am the only one that noticed
but his speed is one meg most wifi that i have ever
worked with has been in the 50 meg
speed area for network speed or am i wrong???
United States  Offline
Old 08-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
_MtM_
Extreme Overclocker

Bad signal strength will do that
Netherlands  Offline
Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 AM   #16
uknapster
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

do you live in a new build house or a old stone type house, the reason i say this is im a network tech. and have come across these type of problems. and old stone house affect speed, long shot but just thought i would bring it up
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #17
Kevster2004
Baking to the max

Defective router? What's the walls like in your home? Solid brick? Concrete?
^^ Ninja'd..but yeah it's probably what your house is made of, also seen it before.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #18
kadafee
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

my walls are concrete, the house was built in the 80's so its relatively new, and the router is Belkin N1

when i connect with my laptop from the room opposit mine the connection is perfect, maybe because the router is directly below it i dont know.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
uknapster
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

you dont by any chance live next to a take away or any type of cafe! the reason i say this is microwaves and other things can have a very neggative impact on wifi signals.

ive only read this whole thread quick, if this as been suggested then sorry have you tryed changeing the channel you are on, if someone is on the same channel or the one above or below yours that can have the send problem. try channel 1 then the top channel and let me no if there is any type of change no matter how small it may seem
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
kadafee
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknapster View Post
you dont by any chance live next to a take away or any type of cafe! the reason i say this is microwaves and other things can have a very neggative impact on wifi signals.

ive only read this whole thread quick, if this as been suggested then sorry have you tryed changeing the channel you are on, if someone is on the same channel or the one above or below yours that can have the send problem. try channel 1 then the top channel and let me no if there is any type of change no matter how small it may seem
well there is a microwave directly below me as my room is directly above the kitchen, could this be the problem?
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply