EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Processors
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 09-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
buttons
BudgetBoy

Athlon X4 620 on ECS a780gm board

I got this combo for $180 shipped:

ECS A780gm-a motherboard black series
Athlon X4 620 2.6ghz
2x1024mb mushkin 1066mhz memory

The board is very nice in appearance/layout. Installed windows xp without a single hitch. I set HT to 1.8ghz bumped FSB to 225 and memory down to 400.

2.9ghz, memory is at 450 --- i cant change the CPU multiplier. i want to get the memory up to 533 with the cpu at 3.0ghz... looks like im stuck so far no lockups or crashed but without the ability to adjust northbridge/cpu mulitplier i dont think im going to reach my goals.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 09-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Can you add voltage to the HT and NB? They may help you reach your goals.
United States  Offline
Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
buttons
BudgetBoy

i am not sure, I sure wish this was the 790 chipset. I set the hyper transport to 1ghz because it was the next step down from 1.8ghz. still no crashes yet, computer running great at 242fsb all stock voltage except I bumped the DIMM up a notch so they were running in spec.

242fsb = 3125mhz and still going good. northbridge is over 2.4ghz stock voltages/heatsinks.
United States  Offline
Old 09-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post
i am not sure, I sure wish this was the 790 chipset. I set the hyper transport to 1ghz because it was the next step down from 1.8ghz. still no crashes yet, computer running great at 242fsb all stock voltage except I bumped the DIMM up a notch so they were running in spec.

242fsb = 3125mhz and still going good. northbridge is over 2.4ghz stock voltages/heatsinks.
Well you'll see when the cpu needs voltage or the NB needs voltage. Do a little to both when the time comes. You might get a couple hundred mhz more from the NB on stock voltage. Always a play by ear.
United States  Offline
Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
buttons
BudgetBoy

I enjoy seeing how much headroom I have but since this isnt my system im going to leave all the voltages and such at default levels.

Im feeling a lot more confident at leaving this system at 3.0ghz now, just wish i could get the memory to 533. right now im at 250fsb (3.25ghz)so the memory has to be pretty close to 500mhz. running another series of benchmarks. for $99 im pretty impressed with this x4 620 chip.
United States  Offline
Old 09-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Archer0915
Whatever

You are going to have to play with that thing. It has a lot of easy overhead but it takes time to balance out the settings. Adding NB v and lowering HT are helpful and if you cant add v to nb then you have no choice you are going to have to find a way to lower the NB.
United States  Offline
Old 09-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
buttons
BudgetBoy

yeah, he just wants to play wow -- maybe crysis. i think this cpu at 3.0ghz is more then enough for his needs. he isnt a die hard overclock enthiusiast like us.

My last computer build was strictly for benchmarks on a budget. (because im a cheapskate) i spent about $450 on a computer and all i did all day was tweak bios settings and run benchmarks lol.
its like drag racing but with computers instead of cars.

If he wants to overclock this computer, id make him get a new heatsink -- and maybe even a new motherboard.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply