EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Extreme Overclocker

Celeron D VS Q9400

Shouldn't one core on the Q9400 be faster than the Celeron D 2.6? They are running a nearly identical Amber unit worth 225 credits. Yet the Celeron is 2 PPD faster.

Last edited by Sticky : 12-04-2009 at 03:00 PM.
United States  Sticky Folds For EOC!  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
cdolphin
It is Never Enough.

Test it out via super Pi to ensure you are correct. I would think it is only different points within the unit, small variance/etc.
United States  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
PatonB
Folder

Unless a single core losses some speed as it shuffles around the cpu...
Canada  Offline
Old 12-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
johnerz
Just getting Old

as the q9400 supports it, have you thought of trying using notfred and vm ware?
England  Offline
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdolphin View Post
Test it out via super Pi to ensure you are correct. I would think it is only different points within the unit, small variance/etc.
Tried it, a single core on the q9400 did:
512K @ 8

The Cel did:
512K @ 31

So the q9400 is practically 4 times faster.

I had 3 clients running. Two as console services and one as the Tray Client. The Celeron had a Console service running. I compared my Tray Client with the Console service. (Maybe thats where the issue is) Three cores where 100%, but maybe it was still shuffling the processes around on those three only. Not sure. Trying to get the SMP client working, but its giving me issues. Not sure if it will bog the system down. Work is more important. Also why im hesitant to try the VM route. I may give it a try though if i cant run smp native in xp.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
jevans64
The Folding Pylon

I had problems getting the Deino SMP client to work, so I just stuck with the MPICH version but that was when the Deino client was first released.

VMWare + Notfreds takes a little bit more work to get going properly but you'll get the same amount of points on TWO cores as you would get on FOUR cores with WinSMP. A WinSMP 1920-pointer will fetch about 2000 PPD at 4 * 3.2GHz and a Linux 1920-pointer will get 2500 PPD on 2 * 3.2GHz.
United States  Offline
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Extreme Overclocker

Still havent figured out the winsmp issue. Took no time to setup the vm + notfreds though. It's currently running. Didn't get a chance to see the first few frames though. Will know how it's doing in the morning. I'll try to figure out the winsmp issue for the sake of i may not be able to keep running the vm setup and the that it may help out others as i've spent close to 5 hours learning how it doesn't work. Nice to know though that will will put out a lot more ppd.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
jevans64
The Folding Pylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Still havent figured out the winsmp issue. Took no time to setup the vm + notfreds though. It's currently running. Didn't get a chance to see the first few frames though. Will know how it's doing in the morning. I'll try to figure out the winsmp issue for the sake of i may not be able to keep running the vm setup and the that it may help out others as i've spent close to 5 hours learning how it doesn't work. Nice to know though that will will put out a lot more ppd.
Well I'd say don't bother with WinSMP if you got VM+Notfreds running and aren't too peeved about the slowdown when running big tasks. One thing I did with my Notfred clients since I have so many of them is to give them a static IP address 10 greater than the host IP address -- which are also static. This is done in the same browser interface you use for changing the folding name and team number. I also have a process manager ( Process Lasso ) installed just to make sure the GPU2 clients get priority over the VM.

Just a note on the VM. The log file ( FAHlog.txt ) and work unit count is wiped out every time the client is stopped / restarted. I like to keep copies of the logs for reference, so I copy the text file to another location on the drive before I stop the client. Not really a big deal but you can do the same if you want to look at the logs at a later date. You'll also see this message ( attempt to access beyond end of device ) pop up in the VM window. This is a known error and doesn't interfere with folding.

There aren't too many different work units for Linux SMP so it is easy to gauge performance.

WinSMP a1 -- q9550 @ 3.166 -- p2665 -- 13m16s per frame -- 2084 PPD
VM SMP a2 -- q6600 @ 3.204 -- p2671 -- 5m06s per frame -- 5421 PPD

Last edited by jevans64 : 12-08-2009 at 01:00 AM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply