EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Memory
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
sach160
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Overclocking Memory for Audio Application - Good idea?

Hey guys,

I have a dell xps 435mt i7 920 with OCZ 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel RAM. I use Ableton Live for recording (using lots of samples and memory intensive soft synths), and the load times of projects which use around 2 to 2.5 GB RAM are about 2 1/2 minutes each (!).

Dell lock the BIOS so you can't overclock anything. The ram runs at 1066, but is capable of 1600 or 1800. I did some research and found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...56,2482-9.html

which says overclocking memory makes little difference, but they didn't test it on audio applications like mine. Does anyone know if I would only get small increases in load speeds, if I sold my dell and bought a system with good cooling, that I could overclock the processor and memory in?

PS I have a SSD C drive, and use a 10000rpm Velociraptor for my samples, so I don't think hard disk speed is the bottleneck here... it just takes so long to load it all into the RAM. Program inefficiency is probably a major cause, but I can't do anything about that.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sachin

PS Lastly anyone looking to take a dell studio to over 6GB RAM without getting 4GB sticks, should steer clear - the PC reboots and freezes when you use all 6 slots (cause - unknown but likely to be cheap low power PSU; dell - unhelpful).
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

Load speeds have absolutely nothing to do with your RAM, and everything to do with a) your hard drive and b) the limitations of the program's loading routine.
United States  Offline
Old 01-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Hickeydog
terrible human being

The hard drives are ALWAYS the limitation when it comes to load times. If you want to make it so your RAM is the bottleneck, get about 100 Intel SSD's and put them in a RAID 0. That might come close to making the RAM the bottleneck.
United States  Offline
Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
sach160
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated - saved me a lot of hassle.

Does anyone have experience in loading any software that uses 2.5GB ram each time? It doesn't have to be audio, it's just that a 2 1/2 minute load time seems unusually slow, if I'm using one 10000rpm and one 7200rpm drive (the project audio is on one drive and the samples on the other). So I'd like to know if it's mainly the software and so nothing I can do about... or if all software using this much memory takes this amount of time to load, in which case I'll have to just bear it and wait for THE FUTURE where I'll hope to have a Winona Ryder clone robot doing my work for me, and quickly.

Any suggestions for speeding up load time, in the mean time, would be much appreciated. Eg would moving to all SSD drives make a significant difference?

Thanks again for the posts. Peace.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Hickeydog
terrible human being

If you've got room on the SSD, move it over to there. By the way, what SSD do you have?
United States  Offline
Old 01-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

Moving to an SSD might help a bit, but it's mostly just the limitations of the load algorithms in the program. Even a slow HDD is going to be able to serve up 100MB/s, so a 2.5GB file would only take ~26 seconds. Even if we assume highly fragmented files, it shouldn't be more than a minute.

If you do this professionally, and have the money, an SSD will probably smooth the experience out a bit, but remember the storage capacity per dollar is extremely low, and audio gets quite large.
United States  Offline
Old 01-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Hickeydog
terrible human being

Now that you mention that, I'm thinking it's the application's coding. From past experience, it takes longer to load GTA 4 (a LOT longer, like, 2x as long) from an SSD as it does from a normal hard drive.
United States  Offline
Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Fr0sty
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
The hard drives are ALWAYS the limitation when it comes to load times. If you want to make it so your RAM is the bottleneck, get about 100 Intel SSD's and put them in a RAID 0. That might come close to making the RAM the bottleneck.
the sata bus as its limitation too ....
Canada  Offline
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
the sata bus as its limitation too ....
Not for traditional HDD's it's not. Even SSD's are hard pressed to saturate SATAII in sequential read (the fastest operation). What can be a limitation is the motherboard's connection to south-bridge and thus the SATA controller. This is typically a single PCI-e 2.0 lane on modern motherboards, giving a maximum bandwidth of 500MB/s. That number can be easily saturated by more than two SSD's in RAID0, especially considering the fact that it has to share bandwidth with other things like the audio (if you're using onboard) and sometimes the LAN, although that is sometimes connected to the north-bridge.
United States  Offline
Old 01-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #10
sach160
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Ah... by the sounds of it, it seems it's the program. Thanks again for the info. I shall simply wait for the future and hope it arrives...
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply