EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Water Cooling - (Plain & Chilled)
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 07-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
musicfan
ambient water-cooling

Question Where exactly to put the Silver Kill Coil?

The Silver Kill Coil is great but the last two times I put it in two different reservoirs it got smashed against the outflow of the res. Maybe it obstructed and maybe not - the temps were OK but...

Where is the best place to make sure you don't obstruct but still get flow to make silver enter the water?

In a tube? Where? Between pump and radiator? Between res and pump? In a half-filled fill-port tube? Exactly where please? Thanks.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 07-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Net
for(; ;)

In the tube, in a Res, does not matter.

The whole point is for it to kill micro-organisms that can grown inside a water cooling setup. This is most likely to happen when using Mixed metal water blocks and or clear tubing near natural light.

Hope this helps.
United States  Offline
Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Spawn-Inc
Water Cooling Only

i would place it in the tube going IN to your block. if it slips out the tube it won't flow into the cpu block, and shouldn't obstruct flow.
Canada  Offline
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Dont_Ban_Meh
$10 says I'm l33t

Aren't you suppose to stretch it to fit the tube without getting caught in current? I've never used one, so IDK. I would say expand it to fit tight to edge of toob that goes from last component in loop back to res, somewhere near res.
United States  Offline
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Spawn-Inc
Water Cooling Only

as long as it's in the water flow it will be fine.
Canada  Offline
Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
musicfan
ambient water-cooling

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Since the soft silver got bent out of shape in the res, it concerned me. I will place the coil inside a tube this time and see what happens.
United States  Offline
Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
johnerz
Just getting Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfan View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Since the soft silver got bent out of shape in the res, it concerned me. I will place the coil inside a tube this time and see what happens.

That made me smile I would just change the shape to a large circle that won't fit in the tubes or fittings and leave it to bob about, thats my cunning plan
England  Offline
Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
musicfan
ambient water-cooling

In 2 different reservoirs, the soft coil wrapped around the plastic "bubble busters" no matter how I shaped it. But I don't think it hurt the flow as the CPU didn't complain.

So this time, I put 2 coils in the tubing to see what would happen - rewound them to get snug (ha). They are anything but stationary. They flow straight up from the pump in the bottom of the case to a rad barb in the top. Or they will follow some bends to find the block intake. In the tubing, the coil keeps its shape so seems even less likely to affect flow.

It is kind of funny and probably harmless but I guess the coil is going to move with the water current.

Last edited by musicfan : 07-12-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: clean-up
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply