EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
NEW TO OC
Extreme Overclocker

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L BIOS Update Gone Wrong

About a year ago, I built my uncle a PC for use in his photography studio.

PC Specs:
Case - APEX Vortex 3620
Monitor - Hanns G 22" Widescreen
DVD Burner - LG DVD Burner
RAM - G.Skill RAM (model escapes me ATM)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
PSU - Corsair 550W
Card Reader - Transcend Multi-Card Reader
HDD - WD Caviar Blue 320GB
GPU - EVGA GeForce GT220 512MB
Keyboard
- Logitech Thin Illuminated Keyboard
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for System Builders

Within the last month, he has had BSOD problems, but only when he first starts up the PC. He would press power, it would BSOD, he would shut it off, turn it on and it would be fine. It wouldn't freeze or anything while it was in Windows. It would however BSOD if he put it into sleep mode for more than 15 minutes.

BSOD errors would be "IRQL less or not equal to..." or "fatal system error...".

So i tried to fix it tonight by updating drivers. I figured WTH, lets see if there is a new BIOS version. So I fire up the Gigabyte BIOS update in Windows. It comes up with a new version. It tells me to make sure the model matches or it might not work properly...I check...they're the same. I hit update and it downloads and does what it has to do. I then restart the PC and now it won't start up...AT ALL. It hangs at the very first thing you see on screen (press del to enter BIOS, etc.).

I'm no genius, but I imagine the BIOS is corrupt.

Tried to call Tech Support but the office was closed, so I'm gonna try them again tomorrow.

This is the thing though...this PC is used daily and needs to be up and running ASAP so he doesn't lose business. He is the owner and does ALL the work on this PC.

Is there anything I can do in regards to loading an older BIOS version onto this mobo even though it's completely unresponsive ATM?

If I can't salvage this mobo, does anyone know anywhere that I can purchase another and just swap them so I don't have to reinstall windows and everything else? (this mobo seems to be discontinued)

I know that if I change mobo's, it is best to reinstall windows and give everything a fresh start, but there is literally so many programs, filters, color profiles, epson prints, etc. to load he can't afford to lose the $ from it being down for so long. Same reason why an RMA wouldn't be ideal.

If I purchase another Gigabyte mobo, would it use similiar drivers and can I get away with not reinstalling windows?

Thanks very much in advance.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

I have the same board, it supposedly has a dual bios on it, so read up on loading the backup bios.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...%29_v1.1_e.pdf
page 70 of the manual describes it
United States  Offline
Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
NEW TO OC
Extreme Overclocker

It says it should copy itself automatically...I guess it didnt, lol.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

1.) Don't flash in windows ever, its just a bad idea.
2.) Don't flash in windows if windows is having issues that seem like they are memory related
3.) Run bootable hardware diagnostics on the machine (memtest86+, DFT)
4.) You have a dual BIOS so you should be fine.
5.) Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

You should ALWAYS. ALWAYS. hard reset the CMOS after doing a BIOS flash. ALWAYS.

Pull the watch battery from the motherboard after pulling the power plug. Wait a few minutes, then put back the battery and power.
Canada  Online
Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
NEW TO OC
Extreme Overclocker

Tried pulling the battery. Actually left it out for about 15-20min. Nothing happened.
I can't figure out how to load the other BIOS because it's just unresponsive. The system hangs at the mobo screen. The system only beeps once. Sometimes it restarts on its own. I'm not sure if it's even POST'ing completely.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
kwiksilver
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW TO OC View Post
Tried pulling the battery. Actually left it out for about 15-20min.
With the power disconnected? After pressing the power button once the power is unlplugged to discharge any power still left?
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
NEW TO OC
Extreme Overclocker

Power was definitely disconnected. Not sure if I discharged power or not. I'll make sure I try that later.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

you can also probably short out the clear comos jumpers with a flat head screwdirver for about 30 sec too (assuming it like my gigabyte board)
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
NEW TO OC
Extreme Overclocker

None of the above worked. For some reason DualBIOS hasn't kicked in. Tech Support says it only kicks in if it senses a problem.

I was running four 1GB RAM sticks rated at ddr2-667. Tech support says the new BIOS might have reset and the RAM isn't compatible with the new voltages, therefore I can't even get into BIOS to change any settings. He told me to try different RAM sticks (none on me ATM)

He told me that the GA-G41M-ES2L is the closest identicle board regarding drivers and everything else. Is this true? I need to get this thing up and running and even if the GA-G41M-ES2L gets me by a few weeks without any major glitches, I can RMA the board and pop it back in when I get it back.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
RyninDaCleM
Go EXTREME or go Home

The dual BIOS in Gigabyte boards aren't like the ones on the new 6950s. There is no switch. Both bios have the same bios. Just one is not altered by the M.I.T. in the settings. Which means if you flashed a corrupted BIOS to your board, they BOTH are flashed. There is no going back using the back-up BIOS.

On another note. I have that same board. Well..My wife does. Anyway, I flashed to F5 IIRC, Almost a year ago, and the flash went fine for me! However, her computer has been doing the same thing here the last couple months. Not so much on cold starts but, almost always returning from sleep. I was thinking power supply. But I don't know.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyninDaCleM View Post
The dual BIOS in Gigabyte boards aren't like the ones on the new 6950s. There is no switch. Both bios have the same bios. Just one is not altered by the M.I.T. in the settings. Which means if you flashed a corrupted BIOS to your board, they BOTH are flashed.
Are you sure about this?????.

I was under the impression (thought I read it a while back) that the second bios chip was a copy of the origional bios that mobo is shiped with, and it can not be altered at all, it can't be flashed. thus if there is a bad flash, it should reload the original bios back onto the first chip.

What would be the point of a duel bios, if they are both going to be damaged by a flash???
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
NEW TO OC
Extreme Overclocker

Well, I have got some exciting news.

Remember how the tech told me to try new RAM? I brought the PC home with me and put in some older ddr2-800 ram and it started right up with no problems!

I loaded optimized defaults in BIOS and have been using the torture test in prime95 to test stability. Its been slightly more than an hour and so far so good.

Rynin - change out the RAM first to keep your sanity.

Thanks to all who contributed. Much appreciated.

On a side note, I'm going to let him borrow my 2GB RAM for a few weeks till he buys new RAM, but he def nedes at least 4GB due to hard photoshop use daily. Any recommendations on some RAM that undoubtedly plays nice with this board?

Additional Comment:

Preferably two 2GB sticks

Last edited by NEW TO OC : 02-23-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

I have not used the ADATA, but slaveondope swears by them for budget ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-188-_-Product

Additional Comment:

is the ram bad????
Im pretty sure G.skill has life time waranty, I had mine RMA'd with about a week turn around time door to door.

Last edited by prudhomb : 02-23-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #15
RyninDaCleM
Go EXTREME or go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudhomb View Post
Are you sure about this?????.

I was under the impression (thought I read it a while back) that the second bios chip was a copy of the origional bios that mobo is shiped with, and it can not be altered at all, it can't be flashed. thus if there is a bad flash, it should reload the original bios back onto the first chip.

What would be the point of a duel bios, if they are both going to be damaged by a flash???
I stand corrected. Look!http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...rmiNig&cad=rja I thought the second BIOS was for recovery from a bad OC which produced unpostable conditions. Or clearing cmos reloaded the backup BIOS. So.. the original BIOS is still in that boards bu BIOS while the updated one is on the main BIOS. Well I learned something new.
United States  Offline
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
NEW TO OC
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudhomb View Post
I have not used the ADATA, but slaveondope swears by them for budget ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-188-_-Product

Additional Comment:

is the ram bad????
Im pretty sure G.skill has life time waranty, I had mine RMA'd with about a week turn around time door to door.
I have no experience either with ADATA, but based on the reviews and rating at newegg they look promising. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

G.skill does have a lifetime warranty. I've had to RMA mine a few times as well. The original G.skill RAM was acting up a few months after building the PC and the system was BSOD'ing all over the place. I took them out and gave him my old DDR2-667 Kingston RAM and I played around in BIOS with the voltages and loosened the timings and what not. It was fine for about 8 months and then the BSOD's I mentioned in my original post started happening. I can't remember for the life of me what happened to that original G.skill RAM.

PS: Prime95 torture test was stable for 10 hours. I think it's fixed.
United States  Offline
Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
RyninDaCleM
Go EXTREME or go Home

Quote:

PS: Prime95 torture test was stable for 10 hours. I think it's fixed.
Good to here!
United States  Offline
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
kwiksilver
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, I have got some exciting news.

Remember how the tech told me to try new RAM? I brought the PC home with me and put in some older ddr2-800 ram and it started right up with no problems!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
2.) Don't flash in windows if windows is having issues that seem like they are memory related
All I do is win win win! LoL

Glad to see you go it solved. I've had great luck with kingston value ram in gigabyte boards that I've used for my customers.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply