EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Motherboards
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
daytona
Dirty White Boy

AM3+ Compatible motherboards (answer not question)

Not sure if this has been posted or not yet (didn't find anything)

Quote:
Current ASUS 890FX and 890GX series motherboards can be upgraded to enjoy the extra performance offered by future AM3+ CPUs.
http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/AM3_PLUS_Ready/
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
moosteve
D10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
Not sure if this has been posted or not yet (didn't find anything)

http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/AM3_PLUS_Ready/
have you seen anything on what AMD says about this? i read this a while ago, but last AMD said, it was going to need a new socket for more pins. and i think msi has already debuted a board with a new am3+ socket.
United States  Offline
Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

I'm skeptical. AM3+ is supposed to be a socket change. Bulldozer has more pins than an AM3 CPU.

UGH! Ninja'ed by Steve.
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
daytona
Dirty White Boy

Never seen AMD comment, guess I wouldn't think Asus would make a claim like this and not back it up.

I however couldn't find a date when this bit was posted either.
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Did I read some where that buldozer will come in several flavors, ie x4, x6, x8. I wonder if the pins on the x4/x6 will fit in the old am3, but the x8 will have more pins requiring the am3+ socket. thus some of buldozer will work on am3 sockets.

thats just a wild guess, I dont really understand it enough to even make a half educated guess.
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
moosteve
D10

since asus has released these updates, i have seen it theorized that there will be unutilized features of the new cpus on am3 boards, and that it will take an am3+ socket board to utilize the full potential of the chips.

as far as i can find, AMD has said nothing official one way or another.
United States  Offline
Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

I remember reading that there will be an AM3+ board with an 890 fx chipset. It will support AM3 as well as AM3+. My issue with such a board, is that you may loose feature when compared to an AM3+ board with a 990 fx chipset.
United States  mimart7 Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
moosteve
D10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimart7 View Post
I remember reading that there will be an AM3+ board with an 890 fx chipset. It will support AM3 as well as AM3+. My issue with such a board, is that you may loose feature when compared to an AM3+ board with a 990 fx chipset.
in the beginning, it was supposed to be a new socket, AM3+, which would be backwards compatible with AM3. just like the switch to AM3.

i don't believe you would lose features using the 890 chipsets, and my guess is they want to release these boards to catch the consumers thinking about changing platforms but who want to spread out the cost?

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/7...-in-april.html
United States  Offline
Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
ORL
Bring on the Liquid

I get the feeling the flag ship 8 cores will not work with the current motherboards. However the fewer core models just might. My current MSI board says it supports the next gen as well however I bought it skeptically on that subject.

It would be nice but definitely not something to count on.
United States  Offline
Old 03-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Im enjoying the Scuttlebutt. I moslty say this because Im in the Navy, and wanted to use the word SCUTTLEBUTT.

ORL, looks like you and I are guessing the same thing. Had I known this I might have gone AMD for my last build, becuse If I do go bulldozer, I'll probably go x4 or x6, I have no need for 8 cores.
United States  Offline
Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Kevster2004
Baking to the max

Look at wording asus use they don't refer to bulldozer codename just am3+ cpu's future ones, my guess is AMD will be releasing updated models of phenom 2 on am3+ socket an this is what asus is referring to.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
LUZR4LIFE
LUZR of the WORLD

MSI Big Bang Conqueror – AMD 990FX
United States  Offline
Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUZR4LIFE View Post
Nice find. Looks like a nice board, too bad it's an MSI. Hopefully their new boards are of better quality.
United States  Offline
Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
LUZR4LIFE
LUZR of the WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
Nice find. Looks like a nice board, too bad it's an MSI. Hopefully their new boards are of better quality.
I am not a fan of MSI but it's better than Biostar. LOL I have been trying to get more info on Bulldozer but they won't give me specs. I did get the vibe that it beats the 1155.
Did you hear that Anand Chandrasekher resigned? He stated that Intel was to far behind AMD's APU. LOL
United States  Offline
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUZR4LIFE View Post
I am not a fan of MSI but it's better than Biostar. LOL I have been trying to get more info on Bulldozer but they won't give me specs. I did get the vibe that it beats the 1155.
Did you hear that Anand Chandrasekher resigned? He stated that Intel was to far behind AMD's APU. LOL
To be honest, I don't care what the CEO's and head honchos are doing as long as they keep making great products and keep prices fair for consumers.

What info do you guys need?

The Cpu's (total of 4 on release day) will be released on the 20th of June this year. FX-8130P FX-8110 FX-6110 FX-4110

There will be two 8 cores a 6 core and a 4 core under the Zambezi core name. The Zambezi will be replaced by Comodo wich will feature 6 to 10 core desktop cpu's.

Memory bandwidth will be supported at 1866MT/s for each cpu. Also AMD will release dual and quad core low end or budget cpu's. Likely having cache cut down or shut off cores. There is no real evidence of core unlocking at this time. Lano and Trinity Core.

The BobCat cores will be sub 10w cpu makes most likely for laptops,Mini itx platforms and such. Probably easily up to 2ghz dual cores under 1v.

We'll also see SSE5 roll out with this cpu's as well.
United States  Offline
Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #16
LUZR4LIFE
LUZR of the WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
To be honest, I don't care what the CEO's and head honchos are doing as long as they keep making great products and keep prices fair for consumers.

What info do you guys need?

The Cpu's (total of 4 on release day) will be released on the 20th of June this year. FX-8130P FX-8110 FX-6110 FX-4110

There will be two 8 cores a 6 core and a 4 core under the Zambezi core name. The Zambezi will be replaced by Comodo wich will feature 6 to 10 core desktop cpu's.

Memory bandwidth will be supported at 1866MT/s for each cpu. Also AMD will release dual and quad core low end or budget cpu's. Likely having cache cut down or shut off cores. There is no real evidence of core unlocking at this time. Lano and Trinity Core.

The BobCat cores will be sub 10w cpu makes most likely for laptops,Mini itx platforms and such. Probably easily up to 2ghz dual cores under 1v.

We'll also see SSE5 roll out with this cpu's as well.
Most of the info on Bulldozer is speculation etc. The only thing that I know that has been verified is the cores, MT/s and size, that's why I keep trying to find out. It would be nice to have that info, but I guess it's doesn't really matter.
United States  Offline
Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #17
Scottike
Learning To Overclock

Here's a comparision between AM3 and AM3+ Sockets:

It appears there is only a difference of one pin between am3 and am3+. Look at the block on the upper lrft.

Last edited by Scottike : 03-28-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Photo won't show
United States  Offline
Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
LUZR4LIFE
LUZR of the WORLD

I just got a 890 UD3H Rev.3.1 which has the AM3+ socket on it. I have been backing up drives for over 12 hours now, so I can do a RAID5 of 4X2TB's. Hopefully I can get it up and going sometime tonight w/ the new mobo.
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
Cheddarf]
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I'm new here so please excuse my noobness, but

I'm looking to make a computer, and was wondering how you got the AM3+ Mobo

Oh, wait
You work for Microcenter.

In that case, have any idea when the rest of us will get these?
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarf] View Post
In that case, have any idea when the rest of us will get these?

Well the processors wont be avilible for a few months yet, so unless you want to buy a phenom, and then upgrade again a couple of months latter to bulldozer, you'll have to wait, and by then they should be availible.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply