EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Project / Build Logs
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
jwigeland
Need before Greed

Oh No! XPS Gen 5

Well, I wanted to splurge on my brother for completing his junior year, and he asked me to fix up his Dell XPS Gen 5, which was originally my first computer ever. Seems it's been acting up (worms, no doubt), and the case fans are all rattling. Clean install with new drives is in order, so why not go one step further?

I went on eBay and got a few things together for cheap to spruce it up a bit. At the risk of being flamed by everyone here, let me preface this by saying that bro absolutely did NOT want a new machine - just upgrades. Since he doesn't even do any gaming I thought I could restore this machine to what it would have been had I the funds at the time of purchase to "max it out"

Original config:
XPS Gen 5
Intel Pentium 4 640
2GB 667MHz DDR2
Nvidia 6800
Soundblaster Audigy Z2
Modem card (OMG!)
120GB Hard Drive
650w PSU
Dell-flavored Windows and Office programs

New config:
XPS Gen 5 (new fans to match originals, including a fourth that was mysteriously missing from the factory)
Pentium D 840 EE (oc'd to 3.6GHz - Dell BIOS allows this) - fastest processor the Gen 5 MoBo will support
4GB 667MHz DDR2 - MoBo only runs 667MHz RAM
Radeon X850 XT Platinum - the top-dog option when the Gen 5 was new
EMU 1212M PCI + I/O Card (thanks EOCF!) - this is for his synthesizer as he needs audio conversion and Midi throughput.
Linksys wireless adapter
2x 250GB Sata drives (Raid 0) - also the top option way back when, but the MoBo can only do Sata (not Sata II).
650w PSU
Windows XP Pro 32 full retail version (oh god I'm going to need a floppy with the Raid drivers...)
MS Office 2003 Professional (bro wants the '03 verion)

LOLZ I'll yank the floppy drive once I'm done with the install and get a Sata DVD Burner (in case the one in there is an IDE drive). That should reduce the cable clutter quite a bit.

Hope he likes it! This would be totally spanked by any system made in the last few years but he doesn't really care so bully for him! XD

Last edited by jwigeland : 05-19-2011 at 06:46 AM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwigeland View Post
Well, I wanted to splurge on my brother for completing his junior year, and he asked me to fix up his Dell XPS Gen 5, which was originally my first computer ever. Seems it's been acting up (worms, no doubt), and the case fans are all rattling. Clean install with new drives is in order, so why not go one step further?

I went on eBay and got a few things together for cheap to spruce it up a bit. At the risk of being flamed by everyone here, let me preface this by saying that bro absolutely did NOT want a new machine - just upgrades. Since he doesn't even do any gaming I thought I could restore this machine to what it would have been had I the funds at the time of purchase to "max it out"

Original config:
XPS Gen 5
Intel Pentium 4 640
2GB 667MHz DDR2
Nvidia 6800
Soundblaster Audigy Z2
Modem card (OMG!)
120GB Hard Drive
650w PSU
Dell-flavored Windows and Office programs

New config:
XPS Gen 5 (new fans to match originals, including a fourth that was mysteriously missing from the factory)
Pentium D 840 EE (oc'd to 3.6GHz - Dell BIOS allows this) - fastest processor the Gen 5 MoBo will support
4GB 667MHz DDR2 - MoBo only runs 667MHz RAM
Radeon X850 XT Platinum - the top-dog option when the Gen 5 was new
EMU 1212M PCI + I/O Card (thanks EOCF!) - this is for his synthesizer as he needs audio conversion and Midi throughput.
Linksys wireless adapter
2x 250GB Sata drives (Raid 0) - also the top option way back when, but the MoBo can only do Sata (not Sata II).
650w PSU
Windows XP Pro 32 full retail version (oh god I'm going to need a floppy with the Raid drivers...)
MS Office 2003 Professional (bro wants the '03 verion)

LOLZ I'll yank the floppy drive once I'm done with the install and get a Sata DVD Burner (in case the one in there is an IDE drive). That should reduce the cable clutter quite a bit.

Hope he likes it! This would be totally spanked by any system made in the last few years but he doesn't really care so bully for him! XD
Nice! That rig will do fine for web browsing and light Photoshopping. Also HD playback is obviously not out of the question.
United States  Offline
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
jwigeland
Need before Greed

Thanks!

My bad - upon further research I discovered that the PSU in mine was the 460w (single PCIe 6-pin), so I had to buy a new 650w (two 6-pins, even though the X850 XT PE only needs one). Probably best to get a new PSU anyway since the original is 5 years old...

Also, I've decided to snag 3GB of Crucial Ballistix 667MHz CL3 just for good measure. These are the old ones with the original heat-spreader (two 1Gb and two 512MB). Not sure if the Dell BIOS will detect the better timings but what the hey - it's better than the generic stuff in there now (no heatspreaders).

Well, everything should be here in a couple of weeks so when the day comes I'll shoot some pics and post 'em here.

Additional Comment:

Uh oh... now bro wants to buy Flash Professional and start making web comics. Um... is this hardware gonna be able to cope with that?

Last edited by jwigeland : 06-15-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
UrbanSmooth
Triple Monitor Gamer

I cringed a little when you mentioned the wireless adapter, however, whatever works, right? And yes, Flash is pretty light-weight, he should be fine. How much did the upgrade total come to?
United States  Offline
Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
jwigeland
Need before Greed

Oh dear... no no I scrapped the Linksys in favor of a Rosewill RNX-N300 b/g/n model from a prior build of mine - it's a great lil card, so no worries there.

Good to know about Flash being okay on a machine like this (phew!)

Hang on a mo... um... lessee... the total damage for all the upgrades came to about $400 of new money plus the value of some spare parts I had lying around. Meh... he's my bro so I don't mind.

New XPS cooler - $30
Pentium D 840 - $85
2GB Ballistix RAM - $40
New XPS 650w PSU - $45
X850 XT PE - $45
2x WD Drives - $75
XP Pro 32 - $35
MS 2003 Pro - $45
United States  Offline
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
UrbanSmooth
Triple Monitor Gamer

Eh, for that much 'cheddar' you could have built him a decent little HTPC by today's standards that would wipe the floor with that setup. I know, you know this already, I just had to say it.
United States  Offline
Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
jwigeland
Need before Greed

LOLZ and I told him that too. But he wanted to keep the XPS 5, so there you go.
United States  Offline
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Why not win 7 (then you wouldn't need a floppy you could use a USB stick)?
If your bro is still a student he can get a copy for 30$ (assuming little bro since he gets your old crap )
United States  Offline
Old 06-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
jwigeland
Need before Greed

LOL yes he's my lil' bro (but taller than me at 6'5")...

Meh we all still like XP in my house... idk... it'll work fine on the hardware he's got (2GB RAM) and at this point SP3 is stable as a rock. It also plays nicely with ofice 2003 which is a must-have b/c he HATES office '10 even more than office '07.

I also donated my Logitech S520 to the cause since the Dell mouse and keyboard are one foot in the grave at this point. Should be nice when it's all done!
United States  Offline
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Can you return the CPU? I have a semi lapped PEntium D 820 that I could give to you for much less money.
United States  Offline
Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #11
jwigeland
Need before Greed

No, but that's okay. Apparently the Dell XPS BIOS allows for a moderate overclock of the 840 up to 3.6GHz - we'll see if I can actually get that to work.
United States  Offline
Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
jwigeland
Need before Greed

Here's a long-overdue update! I couldn't take bro's machine down until he was done with his Summer classes.

I spent one hour swapping out hardware and cleaning out the case clutter. Overall I was pleased with how all the new parts went together!

I then spent 20 hours trying and failing to get a clean install of Windows. Then I realized that all of the random errors I kept getting could be caused by, among the other things I'd already trouble-shot, faulty RAM. So, I put in one stick of the old stuff that came from Dell originally and the install went perfectly (I used a slipstreamed CD with the proper Raid driver).

MEMTEST time - yup, one of the Ballistix was faulty. Moral of the story - always test the RAM FIRST! Could've saved myself 19 hours of frustration...

I ordered a set of Mushkin Enhanced Silverlines with Frosty heatsinks from the egg. I was suprised that they still make performance DDR2 at 667 speed - that's really hard to find nowadays. Anyway, the Muskin kit (2x 2GB) worked perfectly. The 32-bit O/S will only "see" 3.25GB of it but that's okay since I'm now only using 2 DIMMs (2x2) instead of 4 (2x1 + 2x0.5) so that's less load on the memory controller.

So, this XPS lives again! Final Build:

Case, Motherboard, CPU cooler - all original (new Dell case fans)
Intel Pentium D 840 EE (OC'd to 3.6GHz in the Dell BIOS)
4GB Muskin Enhanced Silverline DDR2 (667MHz CL4)
Radeon X850 XT Platinum Dual-DVI
E-MU 1212M PCI
Rosewill RNX-N300
2x WD RE3 Sata 250GB (Raid 0) - the load times are really fast!
Optiarc 22x Sata DVD R/W
Dell XPS Gen 5/6 650w PSU

Last edited by jwigeland : 09-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply