EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Motherboards
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
robyilkx
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

P8P67 EVO, very slow bios and post

Hello,

I've been searching for an answer to my problem in the forum without any success, so I open this thread. I hope it's not a duplicate.

I will put my complete configuration below but I don't thing it should be influent on my specific problem.

I have a Asus P8P67 EVO MB, 3.0 version, with a i5 2500K overclocked to 4.2GHz with the automatic tuning feature offered by the Asus SW in Windows.

My main issue is the fact that it takes a very long amount of time to reach the point where windows starts loading from the HD.
Specifically, when I turn on the PC:
1) it will "start" (lights come on), but after 3-5 seconds it will it will stop (everything shuts down).
2) After 10-20 seconds it will start again automatically and block on the ASUS green/blue bios screen (where it says "hit del to enter bios").
3) I will stop on this screen for about 1 minute (seriously!). In this condition it is "frozen", as if I hit "del" nothing will happen.
4) it will reboot again, and two things can happen:
5a) normally it will go fine, from here on: the system sees the disks, the Asus blue/green bios screen appears again, but it's "alive", and after a reasonable amount of time (20-30 seconds overall from boot) we get to the "windows loading"
5b) occasionally I get an "overclock failed" screen, press f1 to enter bios. I enter bios, choose "save and exit" and the system boots correctly again.

May main problem is the behaviour described in point 1 but even more in point 3! I've got no clues....

Obviously, I am curious also about the occasional overclocking fail, but that's not my priority.

About my configuration:
Case Aerocool VX-9
ASUS 1155 P8P67 EVO (P67/ATX)
Intel 1155 i5-2500K Ci5 Box (3,30GHz)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 1366/1156/AM2+ 31.28EUR
CORSAIR DDR3 4GB (kit 2x2GB) 1600MHz PC-CL.7 DOMINATOR
PSU COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold 1200 W
Sapphire 4890 1GB

I have ordered the following:
CORSAIR DDR3 4GB (kit 2x2GB) 1600MHz PC-CL.7 DOMINATOR
OCZ Agility 3 Series SATA III 2.5" Solid State Drive 120GB

and I'd like to have a fast boot, but the SSD will be useless if it takes 2minutes plus to get to the windows loading phase...

Thanks in advance for your help!
Italy  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Have you tried going back to stock/default settings on the motherboard to see if it still has the same issue?
Sometimes if you mess with the wrong setting it garfunkels everything
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
robyilkx
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

thank you Spartacus.

I must confess I had a sudden enlightment after writing this post: I realized I had changed my mother board, as I had ordered it before the sandy bridge issue, so I got it replaced with a 3.0 version after the fix came out.
And... I had updated the BIOS on my MB. BUT, on the OLD one.
So I checked and I update the BIOS from 1504 to 1704, 10 minutes ago.

Moreover, after updating the BIOS I checked it here and there and saw that I had the DVD drive as first boot, and a non bootable disk as second. My bootable disk was only first choice.

So I changed this (even though I thing it had NOTHING to do with my issue, as it came BEFORE the system even tried to find a bootable something).

Probably it was the BIOS, I dunno, fact is that now issue related to point 3 seems to have disappeared!!! Hurray!

It still goes bananas and turns on and off 1 or 2 times (see point 1 of my post), but that's pretty fast, and I can live with that.

So... I thank this forum for giving me the enlightment just by browsing these pages...
Italy  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply