EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Motherboards
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Core Vs. CPU Temp for AM3(+) cpus

I just installed my antec 620 so Im finally able to push the volts a little further, I put in 1.4v, my core temps were in the low 50's but my cpu temp reached nearly 70c.

Ive never had that much of a difference before, it concerned me so I stopped running prime.

Is that just some sort of weird sensor on the board???

Am I ok as long as the core temps are lower??

with a max temp of 62c I was a little concerned.

I was wondering what kind of temps others were getting with their x6's

Edit--

copying info from Mr.Scott and AMD to top of thread for quicker reference, with a title change to make it more search friendly.

Quote:
Quote:
AMD Temp Information and Guide

We've had a few great threads recently where members contacted AMD and asked what temps they should be looking at, what the max temp was on, and what programs should be used and why. But this information is still scattered and not well defined in one place. It also doesn't quite explain when you should be looking at certain temps. Well I've made it my mission to insure that people are reading the right temps and have been trying my best to give all the information each time I respond without sounding like a broken record. So I decided to write this information thread and little guide to help you out there.

What is "Core Temp" ?

"Core Temp" is what AMD refers to as "TCTL" and is a non-physical temperature on an arbitrary scale measured in degrees. It does not represent an actual physical temperature like die or case temperature.

What is "CPU Temp" ?

"CPU Temp" is read by a sensor in the socket of the motherboard.
It is a physical temperature and therefore will be effected by ambient temps inside the case.

Why should I use "Core Temp" and when?

AMD designed this equation to accurately read peak (45C+) and load temps. It has an equational offset to determine said temps which equalizes at 45C. Since it's designed for peak temps and is a non-physical temperature it cannot read idle temps or account for ambient temps correctly.

So what is "CPU Temp" good for then?

At peak temps this value is typically 7-10C higher (depending on motherboard) than the actual temp due to it being a physical sensor. At idle it's a little more accurate, but still not dead on, and besides idle temps do not matter near as much as load temps do.

AMD says my chip has a [INSERT SPEC] Celsius limit, what value is this referring to? This limit seems kind of low, why?

This is referring to "Core Temp" of course.

So for example Phenom IIs have a recommended 62C "Core Temp" limit while not exceeding 60C for extended periods.

It has long been argued that the recommended limit is merely a larger safety net. There is a thermal shutdown in the chip at 90C and the silicone is rated for 97C+, so it seems plausable that we could indeed go higher, but this guide (and most in general) will simply *nod* and point you to the recommended limit for your chip.

What programs read "Core Temp" ?

AMD recommends the Core Temp program and AMD Overdrive for this reason.

The core section of HWMonitor also reads this value, but be careful as it also shows CPU Temp.

Where are you getting this information?

Aside from the great information threads below, I am a Mechanical & Computer Design Engineer who has several colleagues that either currently work in AMD's engineering department or used to.

Source: OCN Thread #931241
- Information from Alex Cromwell, Senior Technology Director, AMD

Source: OCN Thread #1095360
- Information from AMD Global Customer Care

Last edited by prudhomb : 02-23-2012 at 07:41 PM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
Carozzeria
▲▼▲

What programs are you using?
I've noticed that CoreTemp reads a 16C deviation between two cores on my 5200+ but all of the other programs show normal readings. Try AIDA64 or Speedfan and see if the readouts are still high. 70C doesn't sound right even for 1.4...
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
moosteve
D10

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudhomb View Post
I just installed my antec 620 so Im finally able to push the volts a little further, I put in 1.4v, my core temps were in the low 50's but my cpu temp reached nearly 70c.

Ive never had that much of a difference before, it concerned me so I stopped running prime.

Is that just some sort of weird sensor on the board???

Am I ok as long as the core temps are lower??

with a max temp of 62c I was a little concerned.

I was wondering what kind of temps others were getting with their x6's
all i have ever been taught here at the Forums is its the CPU temp you want, not the cores.
i assume you have reseated already, and perhaps played with fan direction?
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

The hexcores run hot. I told you the 620 wasn't enough cooler.
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Its better than my hyper 212+, but

Ive never seen such a huge variation between core and cpu temp, up to this point they have always been in the same neighborhood.

Additional Comment:

something is fishy,

at idle my cpu temp is 40c, and my core temp is 25.

my 620 arrived with out a amd backplate, but on inspection it looked just like the back plate that comes with the board (minus the top bracket so I used it) cooler seems pretty snug. I guess Ill reseat today.

something is strange

Last edited by prudhomb : 02-19-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
moosteve
D10

Quote:
Its better than my hyper 212+, but

Ive never seen such a huge variation between core and cpu temp, up to this point they have always been in the same neighborhood.

Additional Comment:

something is fishy,

at idle my cpu temp is 40c, and my core temp is 25.

my 620 arrived with out a amd backplate, but on inspection it looked just like the back plate that comes with the board (minus the top bracket so I used it) cooler seems pretty snug. I guess Ill reseat today.

something is strange
that is the way my Bulldozer, and my 1090T read. right now my FX6100 is 32 cpu, and 16 cores.

my waterblock is fine, but with the backplate/mount on my Prlimatech, i added small washers to increase pressure on the cpu to get a tighter mount (like the old True penny mod).... stock, the Megahalems was a little bit too loose.
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosteve View Post
that is the way my Bulldozer, and my 1090T read. right now my FX6100 is 32 cpu, and 16 cores.

are you talking about the pressure or the diffrence in temps??

at anyrate, I discovered why I couldn't use my H70 AMD backpalte, it was missing the pins that were supposed to go in there as well (even for the intel plate) Im sending it back to amazon, I be leave they are letting me keep the $5 credit.

the price of a new one dropped $6, and with the credit, it is actually going to be the same price as a new one.
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
moosteve
D10

Quote:
are you talking about the pressure or the diffrence in temps??

at anyrate, I discovered why I couldn't use my H70 AMD backpalte, it was missing the pins that were supposed to go in there as well (even for the intel plate) Im sending it back to amazon, I be leave they are letting me keep the $5 credit.

the price of a new one dropped $6, and with the credit, it is actually going to be the same price as a new one.
temps.... CPU 32C, cores 16C.

the washers are for pressure on the cpu IHS.
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosteve View Post
temps.... CPU 32C, cores 16C.

the washers are for pressure on the cpu IHS.

which do you use to monitor the cpu temp??
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
which do you use to monitor the cpu temp??
The hottest, for safety.

AMD always had issues with temperature readings since AM2.
Canada  Online
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

at least at idle the core temps make more sense. Im not sure how with an all in one cooler (though i might have it installed incorrectly due to my bracket issue) that at 1.35v it would lidel at 40c.
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Carozzeria
▲▼▲

Is your ambient temperature about 27c?
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

its probably 24-25 in the house, which is about what my cores are idling at.
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Try putting a fan near the mosfets and nb if not already. See if the cpu temp drops.
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

AMD tells you flat out that their temps are not correct below 40c, so don't even look at an idle temp. Load it and see how it goes.
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
AMD tells you flat out that their temps are not correct below 40c, so don't even look at an idle temp. Load it and see how it goes.
Never seen a problem when using Dry Ice. Was within 10c or so @ -40c
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

I'm just sayin'......
Quote:
AMD Temp Information and Guide

We've had a few great threads recently where members contacted AMD and asked what temps they should be looking at, what the max temp was on, and what programs should be used and why. But this information is still scattered and not well defined in one place. It also doesn't quite explain when you should be looking at certain temps. Well I've made it my mission to insure that people are reading the right temps and have been trying my best to give all the information each time I respond without sounding like a broken record. So I decided to write this information thread and little guide to help you out there.

What is "Core Temp" ?

"Core Temp" is what AMD refers to as "TCTL" and is a non-physical temperature on an arbitrary scale measured in degrees. It does not represent an actual physical temperature like die or case temperature.

What is "CPU Temp" ?

"CPU Temp" is read by a sensor in the socket of the motherboard.
It is a physical temperature and therefore will be effected by ambient temps inside the case.

Why should I use "Core Temp" and when?

AMD designed this equation to accurately read peak (45C+) and load temps. It has an equational offset to determine said temps which equalizes at 45C. Since it's designed for peak temps and is a non-physical temperature it cannot read idle temps or account for ambient temps correctly.

So what is "CPU Temp" good for then?

At peak temps this value is typically 7-10C higher (depending on motherboard) than the actual temp due to it being a physical sensor. At idle it's a little more accurate, but still not dead on, and besides idle temps do not matter near as much as load temps do.

AMD says my chip has a [INSERT SPEC] Celsius limit, what value is this referring to? This limit seems kind of low, why?

So for example Phenom IIs have a recommended 62C "Core Temp" limit while not exceeding 60C for extended periods.

It has long been argued that the recommended limit is merely a larger safety net. There is a thermal shutdown in the chip at 90C and the silicone is rated for 97C+, so it seems plausable that we could indeed go higher, but this guide (and most in general) will simply *nod* and point you to the recommended limit for your chip.

What programs read "Core Temp" ?

AMD recommends the Core Temp program and AMD Overdrive for this reason.

The core section of HWMonitor also reads this value, but be careful as it also shows CPU Temp.

Where are you getting this information?

Aside from the great information threads below, I am a Mechanical & Computer Design Engineer who has several colleagues that either currently work in AMD's engineering department or used to.

Source: OCN Thread #931241
- Information from Alex Cromwell, Senior Technology Director, AMD

Source: OCN Thread #1095360
- Information from AMD Global Customer Care
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
ShrimpBrime
<-- My Art -->

Phenom II = Colder is better. No argument there.
United States  Offline
Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Quote:

Hmmm, it seems to this if my core temps are in the low-mid 50's Im allright

Additional Comment:

In general I like to keep my core temp below 55

Last edited by prudhomb : 02-19-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
AMD always had issues with temperature readings since AM2.
Agreed. I've noticed a wide variance between chips DTS going back as far as Venice. They always read lower, sometimes by as much as 10-15C, than the motherboard CPU temp. This is confirmed by the author of CoreTemp.

Ex. my 1090T is showing 13C in CoreTemp right now. Impossible as my ambient is ~22-23C. The motherboard CPU sensor reads 24C. All of the onboard thermal controls use the CPU temp anyway so the DTS CoreTemp is pretty much useless.

CoreTemp will not display a value <0 and according to the author it's because the DTS will not report a less than null value. Most motherboard CPU temp will display a negative temp though.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply