EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Motherboards
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
leekirlew
Mad Warranty Voider

z77 or z78?

ive started planning my ivy bridge upgrade but information on z78 chipsets seems scarce unless im not looking at the right places. ive pretty much decided on the msi z77-g55, but then i seen something about z78, anyone know what the difference is? thanks
England  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

Was discussing this yesterday, if I am recalling right the z78 only works for 1555-E, but z77 will work with all 1155, and both should be forward compatible to IB,

but i admit my knowledge is very limited at this point, Im probably going to upgrade this summer or fall, so I haven't really started my research yet. take what I say with a grain of salt
United States  Offline
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Krystm
Liquid Overclocker

This is the first I have heard of Z78 and I have been researching since December waiting for IB to come out. But the general consensus is that if there is a IB-E chip it would be 2011 Socket on X79 at least that's the rumor.
United States  Offline
Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
hostage67
Extreme Overclocker

I've seen mention of a Z78 but no details on it. I assume this is going to be a socket 2011 chipset.
United States  Offline
Old 04-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
sysigy
Abandon All Hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage67 View Post
I've seen mention of a Z78 but no details on it. I assume this is going to be a socket 2011 chipset.
Never heard of the Z78 before but I doubt it'll be a 2011 chipset as this is reserved for the flagship chipset which from Intel's recent history are prefixed 'X', eg: X48, X58, X79 etc.

IB-E will use socket 2011 and will be compatible with the X79 chipset.

So far I've found nothing to indicate that Intel are launching a newer 'X' chipset any time soon though I would love for them to replace the X79 in which case I would be going IB-E X88 2011 (for example) and not IB Z77 1155.

The more I think about it the more I am tempted to now stick with my 920 @ 4.2GHz and wait to see what Intel do with the IB-E's.
United Kingdom  sysigy Folds For EOC!  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply