EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > ATi Technologies
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
cratebuilder
Learning To Overclock

GPU temp, how hot is to hot?

I have 2 HD7770's running Crossfire, OEM fans with new TIM. Burnin with FurMark I get max gpu temp of 80-81*c. At that temp fans are 80%, I may be able to lower temps with more fan rpm. I have a light overclock of 1235 on gpu and 1125 for mem.

Just curious about what others are seeing and what most think max gpu temps should be.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Urbanfox
Power

Is there a space between your cards or are they pretty much touching each other?

I'm not sure about the 7770, but fans at 80% sure sounds pretty darn loud. Even with an OC though, GPU temps of 80c at that fan speed sounds high. What temps do you get without an OC? Did you increase the voltage for that OC?
United States  Online
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
cratebuilder
Learning To Overclock

There's a good 2 inches between cards. I well test today with default settings and post results. Noise level isn't to bad but I do have ambient noise in this current room.

GPU voltage is default.

Case air is about 26*C and well climb to 28*C when the gpu's are hot.

I have two Arctic Accelero S1 Plus passive coolers I could use if needed. I didn't use them because they are so **** big. Some concern with them having a negative effect on internal air flow. I supose I could mount one on the main gpu and see what happens. Other than the gpu's this machine runs much cooler than I thought it would. 8 hrs of P95 running all four cores at 100% I have a CPU temp of 44C.

Another dumb question. I use Afterburner for OC'ing the GPU's, when I apply a profile, is this set in the firmware or is it software controlled?
United States  Offline
Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Maurice
Partial to LUNAR

Those temps seem totally normal.
United States  Offline
Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
I use Afterburner for OC'ing the GPU's, when I apply a profile, is this set in the firmware or is it software controlled?
It's software controlled.

I wouldn't use those Accelero's without fans on them. Your temps will be worse. Anything passive is meant for silence, not cooling efficiency.
United States  Offline
Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Cheapsk8te
PC Budget Man

To hot is when you get a thermal shutdown anything below that is fine.
United States  Offline
Old 05-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
DarkTower87
Tension Tour 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapsk8te View Post
Well I would not go by that. For instance my GPU will not shut down until well over 90C. Doesnt mean I like running it at that temp. It will shorten the lifespan of the card/s even though it is still within spec.

To the OP
Take a can of compressed air and blow out the heatsinks. Also what type of airflow do you have in that case?
United States  Offline
Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Urbanfox
Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapsk8te View Post
That's dangerous words to live by.
United States  Online
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
cratebuilder
Learning To Overclock

Thanks for all the replies and my apologies for asking a question that gets asked way to often.

I found that AMD states that all of their cards can "safely" go to 120 C. That seems excessive to me but I don't manufacture video cards.

General consensus is 90C is about max for good stability. The FurMark stress program well run higher temps than normal game playing. I don't know about that as I don't play a lot of games.

I ran FurMark with both OC and default setting and I saw the same rate of temp increase. Using a more aggressive fan curve helped but i still got to 80C, just took longer.

Quote:
I wouldn't use those Accelero's without fans on them. Your temps will be worse. Anything passive is meant for silence, not cooling efficiency.
+1

I have fans on them, one reason I didn't use them is they are massive. I was concerned about air flow but now that I have some time with this new box I don't think it would be a problem. Two of the S1's sure fill the interior.
United States  Offline
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Blackops_2
I was Born Ready

Anything over 75 is unacceptable IMO i'm sure there are some that run their GPUs in the 80s stable i'm not comfortable with that. The only time that i've let it go past 75C is during burn in and even then i don't like 75C. I'd much prefer 50s-60s which is where water comes in.
United States  Offline
Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Maurice
Partial to LUNAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post
Anything over 75 is unacceptable IMO i'm sure there are some that run their GPUs in the 80s stable i'm not comfortable with that. The only time that i've let it go past 75C is during burn in and even then i don't like 75C. I'd much prefer 50s-60s which is where water comes in.
While I agree with you, not everyone can afford water.
United States  Offline
Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #12
Blackops_2
I was Born Ready

That is true, hell i'm starting to think i can't taking forever to get this build together.

That said my KFA2 Galaxy 470 @ 700/1700 1050mv only hits around 66-68C while gaming.

Thing is on the AMD side of things your almost forced to go reference for unlocked voltage which gives further incentive for watercooling because the reference coolers never really do that well.

Meanwhile Nvidia has started the trend of not allowing voltage adjustment on their cards..so pick one lol. Seriously that's some utter BS IMO.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply