EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Antivirus & Spyware
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
godspeed
Running System Stock

avast slows my computer down

Hello I have a Dell all in one with windows 7. I installed avast on my system and now it runs slow. IT hangs up like its thinking. I thought there may be a lot of programs running in the background so I checked and disabled some start up programs. As it still ran slow I suspected the avast so I uninstalled avast. As soon as I uninstalled and restarted my computer the computer is no longer hanging up. Whats the deal? Thanks
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
901-Memphis
Santa Hat!

Maybe your computer doesn't have enough resources to run extra programs.

What are you CPU and RAM specs?
United States  Offline
Old 06-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
CountMike
Mildly OC-ed

It would have to be real dead dog of a computer to noticeably slow down because of a modern AV. I have an 462, 3200 Barton system digging thru internet all the time and can't tell difference when Avast free is running and when suspended.
Either that or it's not optimized at all and in disastrous shape OS wise. Most people do not need full, corporate versions of AV, they just have too much gong on that do nothing for a home PC. Free versions are quite enough. People think if something is labeled "professional" is much better.
Serbia  Offline
Old 06-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
N64link
I am the law?

Maybe Avast's active scanner would be the cause of a slow down. Did you find any viruses or malware, while avast was installed?
United States  N64link Folds For EOC!  Offline
Old 06-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

On my rig, Avast is only using 2.8 mb of ram, and no cpu usage, unless I run a scan. Your system specs, would help as 901-Memphis asked. msconfig is your friend.
United States  mimart7 Folds For EOC!  Online
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply