EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Tech News & Press Releases > The Front Page Headlines

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-08-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Intel responds to complaints of temp spikes on 7700k series, offers solution.

Modern processors can run at temperatures ranging from 25 to 90 degrees, depending on configuration, cooling and workload. That said, when a CPU takes on a heavy load, that increase tends to be gradual, rather than instantaneous. And it certainly shouldn't occur for basic, undemanding tasks. Unfortunately, Intel's Core i7-7700k might have a temperature problem, with spikes of 30;deg&C not uncommon when, say, opening a webpage.
Intel officially took notice of the 7700k's supposed issues after a post by "BC93Key" appeared on the company's forums. However, it seems reports of the processor's unpredictable behaviour had been doing the rounds among users before then.

Here's the gist of BC93Key's complaint:

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.
It's important to note that BC93Key is running their system stock — that is, no overclocking or modifications to the hardware.

Now, it's not unusual for an idling processor to ramp up quickly once something starts happening, but a spike of 30°C is insane. It didn't take long for others to come out of the woodwork and report similar experiences.

Aside from basic troubleshooting, it took three weeks before Intel responded with concrete news, though it wasn't what users wanted to hear:

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the IntelŪ Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications ... We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

So as far as Intel is concerned, it's working as intended, which means anyone hoping for a driver update, microcode patch or refund may be out of luck. For those unsatisfied with the company's response, well, Intel's not the only player in town.

Source: Gizmodo

You Tony like the solution though, pretty much they're saying that unlocked multi isn't to be used for overclocking.

*“We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called “de-lidding”). These actions will void the processor warranty.”

So why is it unlocked Intel?

They're actually suggesting you change your fan curve so you don't have to listen to your fans rapidly changing rpms when you open Firefox....

Relid ftw! Void that warranty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kabylake1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	172640  
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #2
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

People are probably complaining to Intel about temperature spikes before de-lidding especially once overclocked. It's true that 6- and 7-series chips do have pretty bad spiking especially once you push the voltage, but since we're in an era of overclocking becoming mainstream, people have now started complaining.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-08-2017, 06:31 AM   #3
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Forgot the link to the article, although it doesn't offer much more info. https://www.extremetech.com/computin...p-overclocking
United States  Offline
Old 05-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
People are probably complaining to Intel about temperature spikes before de-lidding especially once overclocked. It's true that 6- and 7-series chips do have pretty bad spiking especially once you push the voltage, but since we're in an era of overclocking becoming mainstream, people have now started complaining.
Problem is, people who are running their CPUs at stock are also seeing the issues. So we know that this isn't related to overclocking in general.

All in all though, Intel's response is very **** poor. Unless they change something (i.e. go back to soldering their heat spreaders on) I won't be buying one of their platforms again. I dodged this whole temp issue bullet - had an i5 2500K (which is soldered) and moved to a 6800K (which, of course, is still soldered).
United States  Online
Old 05-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

I'm aware of the issue; my 6700K at work is plagued with it as well.
The default fan profile in the BIOS made no sense as the fan was constantly ramping up and down. (IT setting it up so "it doesn't heat up" made no sense as well, hearing the fan constantly ramping up and down when doing anything made me crazy after just a few minutes)

Here I am simply loading a big-*** assembly in Solid Edge and those graphs are awful. 4.5GHz with HT, 1.4v. It's being cooled down by a H115i but I suspect the seating could be better. I'm mentioning Solid Edge but it's like that doing anything. Even when the cores are locked down to 100% usage.

Intel's answer is indeed poor (it's a first level of damage control after all) but some of those complaints/posts on that Intel thread are quite dumb...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	114
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	172639  
Canada  Offline
Old 05-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Vampire80
A whole new world

I de-lidded mine as well including my old 6600k. I had 20c temp drops on both chips.
United States  Offline
Old 05-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Did you use the Rockit tool vampire?

This is really making me think twice about a kaby upgrade. Does the low demand spiking continue after a relid or do temps make sense then?
United States  Offline
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
Vampire80
A whole new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Did you use the Rockit tool vampire?

This is really making me think twice about a kaby upgrade. Does the low demand spiking continue after a relid or do temps make sense then?
I did. Temps are still stable even under full load, my 4.6ghz OC never going above 63c.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply