EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Networking and Security
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 11-29-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Null
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Question How do I make a proxy server???

Is there a way I can buy and create my own proxy server? I really want to get my own, because I am tired of using slow, public proxy servers.

Do I have to buy a seperate computer for this? What software do I need to start?

thank you for your response.
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 11-29-2003, 06:48 PM   #2
ghostfacekillah
GT-R

i dont have much experience with proxies but here is some software that will allow you to run one on your computer http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/screenshot.htm and im sure somewhere in windows 2000 or xp pro there is one but you didnt specify your os
Mexico  Offline
Old 11-29-2003, 06:55 PM   #3
Null
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I am planning to buy a totally seperate computer that is devoted to work as a proxy.

Im getting a windows xp. MORE RESPONSES!!! THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-29-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
ghostfacekillah
GT-R

if you are going to just get a whole new computer why dont you get it with windows 2000 server
Mexico  Offline
Old 11-29-2003, 07:19 PM   #5
bloodmire
what, me worry??!!!

why on earth would anyone want to use widnows server for proxy only capabilities? i making the assumption that ur buying a legit license for w2k server so wont it make sense to just go with linux?
www.clarkconnect.org

ps: why do u use public proxy servers anyways? is this for cloaking / anonymity?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:47 PM   #6
Null
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Yep, im getting it for anonymity.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:25 PM   #7
Cheaper=Better
Schemer

umm, ebay a 500mhz comp and install a good linux distro on it like Slackware or Debian
Antarctica  Offline
Old 11-30-2003, 06:47 PM   #8
dygital
LOL MONEY, MONEY LOL
Retired Staff

Why would you spend >$199 for a WINDOWS license when linux (free) has the best proxy server software (free) ?!!!! That's shocking!

Download Debian at http://linuxiso.org. Install debian, if you can, ask ?'s is you got trouble. Then inside the root console, (su - to it), then type
Code:
apt-get install squid
That is to download Squid, the most powerful fastest proxy, and very configurable.

However, since you mentioned anonomity, which any system in your network wont offer, simply because of the nature of IP protocol. You can modify the headers, and there is addons to block *.doubleclick.net (etc...) but it will, WILL, speed up your internet.

PM if you need more help with debian, and squid, as I have created powerful proxies, and can help.
United States  Offline
Old 12-03-2003, 06:27 AM   #9
bloodmire
what, me worry??!!!

u can buy a cheap celeron 400 comp with 128 mb + 4gb drive for like 60 bucks from www.compgeeks.com
Old 12-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #10
NeXuS
.-<:=:(*):=:>-.

if the proxy box is on the same LAN/connection as the other computers in your home it will not help out with privacy at all, if people try to trace it it will simply trace back to the proxy insetad of your computer you're using, but still YOUR connection nonetheless.
United States  Offline
Old 12-04-2003, 05:00 AM   #11
bloodmire
what, me worry??!!!

very true. if ur ip can be displayed (and it will), people will know where its coming from....
Old 12-08-2003, 11:08 AM   #12
Dantte
NO LIMIT

Quote:
Originally posted by dygital
Why would you spend >$199 for a WINDOWS license when linux (free) has the best proxy server software (free) ?!!!! That's shocking!

Download Debian at http://linuxiso.org. Install debian, if you can, ask ?'s is you got trouble. Then inside the root console, (su - to it), then type
Code:
apt-get install squid
That is to download Squid, the most powerful fastest proxy, and very configurable.

However, since you mentioned anonomity, which any system in your network wont offer, simply because of the nature of IP protocol. You can modify the headers, and there is addons to block *.doubleclick.net (etc...) but it will, WILL, speed up your internet.

PM if you need more help with debian, and squid, as I have created powerful proxies, and can help.
Linux is free, but a pain if you dont know what you are doing. Unlike W2K, Linux is not very user friendly.

If you still want to get a free copy of linux, and you need the manual, it will cost you roughly $100 at the store or several hours of printer time and alot of paper.

Dont get me wrong though, if you know what your doing, Linux is prolly your best route to go.
United States  Offline
Old 12-16-2003, 11:39 PM   #13
dygital
LOL MONEY, MONEY LOL
Retired Staff

If you have absolutely no experience with any form of an operating system, get it in the box

http://tldp.org for linux doc's, tutorials....
and you ALWAYS have google!

The great thing with linux is the support. Windows it's all closed source, and you have to wait till "they release the patch, SP, fix" in linux, you can issue the patch/fix (which there are minimal serious ones btw, unlike windows counterpart) MANY smart people can answer linux questions... like http://www.linuxquestions.org has thousands of answers (SEARCH before posting as usual).

So it wont be ALL that hard. Honestly, the hardest part in linux is understanding how File systems work, and partitioning and installing the bas OS. After that, it's a piece of cake.

Fine, windows will get you there... more "apps" for it yadda yadda... but linux is definately the BEST server OS compared to windows. That's a fact.
United States  Offline
Old 01-21-2004, 04:38 PM   #14
Bronco
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I've been reading through here and figured i could be some help

I have looked at everything that has been talked about on this page. ANd being a CCNA, I have noticed is that not every one on here really knows what they are talking about and that some people are giving misleading info.
first of all to make your self invisible from the internet all you need to do is put a router at the front of your network if that is all you want to do. all a proxy sever really does is storce cachements of webpages and makes them available for later use. Second of all I us linux and for a beginner it is emposible, I only use it because I like to make up my own coding, I also use windows and mac. For severs , the best operating system is windows semply becuase it is flexable. and for computer equipment don't go to http://www.compgeeks.com/ because it really doesn't have anything that will last vary long. if you are planing to by a new computer just get an off the couter computer and then find some good software to put on it.

I will try to find the link for the software I use and then post it later. If anyone want to know witch routers are best for these aplications let me know
Old 01-21-2004, 11:03 PM   #15
dygital
LOL MONEY, MONEY LOL
Retired Staff

Re: I've been reading through here and figured i could be some help

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronco
I have looked at everything that has been talked about on this page. ANd being a CCNA, I have noticed is that not every one on here really knows what they are talking about and that some people are giving misleading info.
I see, so just because you are arrogent and see that some people arent quite as educated as you Mr. "CCNA". What was your score? What version of the test... 2.14? n00b... j/k
Quote:

first of all to make your self invisible from the internet all you need to do is put a router at the front of your network if that is all you want to do.

Wrong... sorta. It depends on what he means as "invisible". Sure you can 'hide' behind a router, but if there are subpoenas from authorites to ISPs, its VERY easy to trace back, minimal effort. If you mean put a router before, or at, the demarc point, it wont hide anything, it goes down to his provider. If he can find/hack a shell account, go through that, his identity will be easiER to conseal, but not guaranteed.

Quote:

all a proxy sever really does is storce cachements of webpages and makes them available for later use.

It re-routes (err, IS the path) the path for HTTP transmission. So ALL 100 computers on 10.0.0.0 network will go through the ONE address of 10.0.0.1.

Quote:

Second of all I us linux and for a beginner it is emposible, I only use it because I like to make up my own coding, I also use windows and mac.

Linux isnt hard... seriously, for a CCNA it should be like a 2500 router with more features . It really isnt that hard... if it IS that hard, how do you code on it -- no bash scripts dont count...

Quote:

For severs , the best operating system is windows semply becuase it is flexable.

HAHAHA! Riight! You should get your CCNA revoked for that statement. What does EVERY cisco router run on - UNIX! So if routers ran on Windows code, the internet would be in deep trouble.

Quote:

and for computer equipment don't go to http://www.compgeeks.com/ because it really doesn't have anything that will last vary long. if you are planing to by a new computer just get an off the couter computer and then find some good software to put on it.

Or BUILD IT! It's cheaper is no markup to pay. A rewarding experience when you know you know what is every component in that case, also makes troubleshooting [if there is any...] easier. Also, what is a "over the counter" computer... a pill, a creme for your flaming ass? No. Software doesnt make a computer faster than what it is. Why pay $800 extra retail when he can make a faster one for cheaper? I forgot, your rich....
[/i]
Quote:
[i]

I will try to find the link for the software I use and then post it later. If anyone want to know witch routers are best for these aplications let me know [/b]
Ok, what routers are the best for consealing identity, just wondering. Will you also give us the $1400 per router since you only have experience with Cisco 2500/2600 series [that's what all CCNAs are required to know...] Also, since routers obviously change the TCP packet data so you are untraceable . (sarcasm)

Go point your nose high at http://examnotes.com or something.

Hm, now tell what is wrong. I dont have a CCNA, but I still know more than a CCNP, MOUS[rofl], MCP, MCSE, A+, Net+, and Security+.

I am just too poor to study the new standards they want in these lame exams all about memory. Literally, if you memorize the book(s) you can pass. I conceptualize all my information so I can actually understand it, not just spit out crap that SOMEONE else said. I am also still in high school, and will get my certs after I graduate. (if that answers your reply of 'where are your certs than...?')

Last edited by dygital : 01-21-2004 at 11:10 PM.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply