EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Notebooks, Handhelds, PDAs
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 09-25-2002, 11:18 PM   #1
Sirmodalot
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Question Removing a Sony Vaio laptop bios password

I have removed Many bios passwords before and never had a problem. Yesterday I totaly stripped a new sony vaio 2.4 gig notebook to the guts and disconnected the battery for the CMOS, shorted the caps pressed the power a couple of times. Then left it for two hours. After reasembling the note book the laptop did give me post but went strait back to being locked. Any one know of a way to remove the password by either hardware or software or a combo of both the floppy nor cdrom picks up before the lock up.
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 09-25-2002, 11:21 PM   #2
brianm
You took my red stapler..

if you look around a lot of bios have backdoor passwords, then you can do what you need to do
United States  Offline
Old 09-25-2002, 11:24 PM   #3
Sirmodalot
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Tried every one I could think of
Old 09-25-2002, 11:29 PM   #4
brianm

have you searched on google for any or on sony's site?
United States  Offline
Old 09-25-2002, 11:33 PM   #5
Sirmodalot
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

You won't believe this. I had to hang up the phone with the sony tech shop in florida. They claim that there is no bios password that can be locked when you start the notebook. What a joke wander where they got certified at. But to answer your ? yes checked crack sites and sony sites.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:40 PM   #6
brianm

well i don't know the answer to your question, sorry about that but soon someone more experienced might be able to assit you
United States  Offline
Old 07-23-2003, 05:53 AM   #7
ATOMBOMB
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Unhappy Vaio Laptop GRX 550, P4 1.6. Bios CMOS has CPU PERFORMANCE unaccessable

I was trying to overclocking my sony vaio laptop grx 550. It has a P4-m 1.60GHz. The problem is the Bios, Phoenix 4.0 reversion6.0, allows you to get into CMOS but when you try to enter into HARDWARE CPU PERFORMANCE, you can't. I mean the option is unaccessable. SO, i tried Softfsb but it did not work with laptop. I tried TwekBios and REMPASS ms-dos programs, but it still did not work. Pulled out CMOS battery over night and still CMOS option to the Hardware Performance was unaccessable. I used passwords. MS-DOS prompt. in safe mode, debug mode, safe mode with MS-Dos command
O 70 17

O 71 17

Q

STILL DID NOT WORK. I shorted the pins. looked for jumpers. I tried and read everything. SONY HAS GOT THE LAPTOP ON LOCKDOWN. I know that sony uses the same p4-m in different GRX models. they have set the multiper at 16 and the FSB at 100MHZ and depending on the model laptop, increased MHZ for a faster CPU. 1.8, 2.0, 2.2Ghz. Those bastards don't want anyone to find out that their 1.6Ghz CPU is capable of doing 2.2Ghz. Sony LOWER CLOCKED my CPU.

Last edited by ATOMBOMB : 07-23-2003 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
pcmaster
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I have the pcg-grx550 sony also and cant get past the powerup password. any help?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:44 AM   #9
Ranma^_^

Laptops can hold a charge for very very very long time. let it sit for a day.
Canada  Offline
Old 10-06-2003, 01:51 AM   #10
Capsule
Im lost who r we....

I am quite experianced with the sony vaio passwords having owned an FR130 and currently a R505EL (nice and Light I might Add). Anyway I recently got a free compaq Presario 1500 P4 and wanted to use it with the hard drive from my Sony because it was bigger and I work with music video's (Plus the Radeon 7500 w/32MB is a far shy better than an intel extreme on board.) Anyway I found that sony seems to hold a back of of the password settings on the hard drive (I had to start up a linux cd and reset every available password just to unlock the hard drive.) This leads me to assume that while the debug method is an easy norm to use in this case Sony has taken steps to prevent this. I can probably set you up with the CD I have that will boot and walk you through finding the password and reseting it. (Basically you owuld have to take it apart remove the battery then take the hard drive and reset the passwords located on it. While this is only an idea/theory of mine from experiance it seems to be the only way that it could retain the Password as it does. Hope this helps
United States  Offline
Old 10-12-2003, 11:45 PM   #11
man
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I like to have copy cd or some how i can down load it my bios seem clock and i forget password and i don"t want spent 300$ to service
Old 11-11-2003, 09:40 AM   #12
buzzert
Total Linux Geek

I believe on some laptops there is a red button that you have to hold for 30 seconds. Am I wrong?
Old 02-05-2004, 10:05 AM   #13
dinac4
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Angry SONY VAIO BIOS PASSWORD

OK, if you do not know your BIOS password, as what happened to me, (I have an sony vaio fx370 notebook), removing the cmos battery does nothing. The only way to unblock it is to go thru a lot of b.s. with sony. Basically, you have to call sony's 1-800 number and tell them what's up. They'll need to know your serial number along with a bunch of other info. Then they will ask you to fax them a copy of your receipt (if you don't have this then good luck!) On the receipt you'll have to put down whatever reference number they give you and then you'll have to wait 24 hours. After 24 hours, you can call back and they will give you a code to unblock the BIOS (so they say). What will really happen is that you'll have to send two more faxes and go thru this procedure again until they're ready to give you the code (it's as if they were gonna give you the code to launching a nuclear warhead). It really isn't fair since I never set the password to begin with, (contrary to popular belief) it was there from the start. I suggest asking for the password before even pulling out the credit card and demanding to know every detail of your new computer since you are investing a good chunk of money. This process has taken me about two months since I live abroad and at first they told me that removing the cmos should be enough, WRONG (and they know it)! Oh and by the way, if you buy the extra warantee at Best Buy, y'know the 3 year one, no matter what goes wrong it's covered, this is the one thing they DO NOT cover, they claim it has nothing to do with them and to go thru Sony. I wouldn't recommend the warantee since the techs at best buy are pretty useless anyway and I have more or less fixed my own problems and I'm no expert so it's pretty sad that I know more than they do. The only thing it's good for are the free batteries.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:45 AM   #14
Jason
The Mad Beaker
Administrator

While I appreciate dinac4 posting that information, however the original post was back on 9/26/2002, and that member hasn't visited the forum since 10/17/2002....

Just FYI, you can usually search the internet for BIOS "backdoor" passwords, sometimes you can get lucky.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply