EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Sound Cards, MP3 Players, Speakers
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 11-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
repoman
You have my Axe!

Zune 2.0

My Creative Zen Touch 40GB finally broke after 3.5 years (dead hard drive). I narrowed it down to a Creative Zen 16GB, or MS Zune 80. I originally ordered the Zen, but I think I'm gonna return it unopened to Amazon and pick up the Zune 80 from Circuit City in DE tomorrow (no tax, same price as any other store, and I get a free $25 gift card, good for a couple CDs).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ramrxfqhae0 - CNET preview

I like the 80GB, 3.2in screen, and good interface / sound quality. Anything else is either too big like my Zen Touch, too expensive, or generally lacking in some other category. The main competitor's (ipod classic's) shortcomings are the small screen, worse sound quality, and itunes requirement, IMO.

Additional Comment:

Hmm.. I think I changed my mind again, I'm just gonna keep the Zen 16GB.. the space is the only issue for me, but I figure I can use 16GB for music and get a 4 or 8GB SD card for video. Hopefully Creative updates the firmware to allow SD card stuff to be integrated into the media library though.

Last edited by repoman : 11-13-2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 11-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
afrakes
Not your friend, guy

Have you considered the 1st gen Zune? You can find them so cheap these days, lately woot has been selling the black and white versions for about $90. Not too bad at all for 30GB in my opinion.
United States  Offline
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
leprechanmonkie
Red Rocket Red Rocket

yea the first gen refurb zunes were on woot for 79.99 at once. I got mine for 100(refurb) and i absolutely love it. Item looks brand new, and today it just updated to zune2 firmware and the software had a nice update, i like it even more today than i did when i got it. But really, you cant go wrong w/ the 30gb or 80gb zune, i prefer it over an ipod, ive ALWAYS hated itunes, alot of people like it but i couldnt stand it
United States  Offline
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechanmonkie View Post
yea the first gen refurb zunes were on woot for 79.99 at once. I got mine for 100(refurb) and i absolutely love it. Item looks brand new, and today it just updated to zune2 firmware and the software had a nice update, i like it even more today than i did when i got it. But really, you cant go wrong w/ the 30gb or 80gb zune, i prefer it over an ipod, ive ALWAYS hated itunes, alot of people like it but i couldnt stand it
This post is very encouraging, considering I just bought a Refurbished Zune, and it should be here any day now
Canada  Offline
Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
leprechanmonkie
Red Rocket Red Rocket

i did have one problem, the cable mine came with had a "nick" in it, still worked if it was in the right position. But a 2 min call to ms and i had a new cable a week later. I can post pics if u want, but besides the refurb sticker, you'd never know the unit was used. Also, i picked up a pair of phillips noise cancelling headphones(only 30$ w/ my bro's BB discount) and they sound great together. The headphones are the earmuff type, great SQ though. I hate earbuds.

yea when your zune arrives just dl the newest software off the internet, its less buggy and better i think. Flash your zune to 2.0 and wireless sync and everything is available. Pretty sweet new firmware, icons are HUGE now, but i think you'll be very happy w/ the player itself. Hats off to ms for not ditching early adopters, cant say the same for the ahole's at apple
United States  Offline
Old 11-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Fourth
Dimension, The

what were the original issues with the zune and have they been worked out? i remember hearing about some upfront problems that the zune was having.

im somewhat in the market for an mp3 player and if the zune has come around, maybe I will give it another look. i was looking into an iaudio but you can't find the X5s around anywhere and id really rather buy new as opposed to used. i really want a large hdd one because I carry about 70 gigs of music(in various lossless and lossy formats)and I'd like to have at least 2/3s of it with me.

can the zune play FLAC format?
United States  Offline
Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth View Post
what were the original issues with the zune and have they been worked out? i remember hearing about some upfront problems that the zune was having.

im somewhat in the market for an mp3 player and if the zune has come around, maybe I will give it another look. i was looking into an iaudio but you can't find the X5s around anywhere and id really rather buy new as opposed to used. i really want a large hdd one because I carry about 70 gigs of music(in various lossless and lossy formats)and I'd like to have at least 2/3s of it with me.

can the zune play FLAC format?
With the firmware update the Zune can play WMA, MP3, OGG, and FLAC.

And I believe the video formats it can play after the update are WMA, h.264, and MPEG-4.
Canada  Offline
Old 11-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
repoman
You have my Axe!

Now I can't decide between Zune 1, Zune 2, Creative Zen Vision M, and Creative Zen

I'm leaning towards the Vision M right now for good video and audio support, familiar and nice interface, good screen, great sound quality, and reasonable 30GB. I'll probably re-rip a lot of my 320kbps MP3's to 224-256 VBR ones, should be the same quality to my ears.. that will make 30GB go much further. They're like $180 shipped on ebay for new / refurbished creative one since they aren't produced anymore, but IMO it beats the new Zen.
United States  Offline
Old 11-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
afrakes
Not your friend, guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephious View Post
With the firmware update the Zune can play WMA, MP3, OGG, and FLAC.

And I believe the video formats it can play after the update are WMA, h.264, and MPEG-4.
This is for the Zune 1.0? An official update from Microsoft, or hacked firmware. If it's the former that's definitely impressive, nice of MS to include open source formats like OGG and FLAC. Zune is supposed to have excellent sound quality as well so the guys at Head-Fi are probably stoked about official FLAC support.
United States  Offline
Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrakes View Post
This is for the Zune 1.0? An official update from Microsoft, or hacked firmware. If it's the former that's definitely impressive, nice of MS to include open source formats like OGG and FLAC. Zune is supposed to have excellent sound quality as well so the guys at Head-Fi are probably stoked about official FLAC support.
For both the Zune30 and the Zune80. (1 and 2)

It is an official firmware, just released a couple days ago I believe. It's a good marketing decision for Microsoft to support these formats. If it wasn't for the fact that I knew a new firmware was coming out supporting them, I never would have bought the Zune.
Canada  Offline
Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
repoman
You have my Axe!

I got my Zune 80 today. It was kind of a pain in the *** to set up and I really haven't used it yet (reripping all my CD's at ~224Kbps VBR instead of the 320CBR that I had before). First I had to install a bunch of updates from Windows Update to even use the software, then the player wouldn't update to firmware 2.2 through the software (a required update to even use it). I read on MS's site for a while and found that it has to be plugged into the back of the motherboard instead of the front USB ports, kind of weird IMO.

I also hate the software, and I hate WMP 11 (installed it over 10 to see if it would help with the firmware update - it didn't). I can deal with it though I guess, hopefully the player is good. And hopefully MS will make a MTP update so I can use Winamp or explorer to transfer files.
United States  Offline
Old 11-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
zelix
Nvidia Ftw?

is zune out in canada? im on the canadian bestbuy site and when i search zune nothing comes up
Canada  Offline
Old 11-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelix View Post
is zune out in canada? im on the canadian bestbuy site and when i search zune nothing comes up
I haven't found anything outside the US. That's why I got mine on eBay. Still waiting for it to arrive though, 11 days later, on supposed 2-3 day shipping
Canada  Offline
Old 11-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
onewecallgod
#6 post whore

For the Zune, do you have to add music via software? Can I just drag-drop through Explorer?
United States  Offline
Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #15
repoman
You have my Axe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelix View Post
The only place I was able to find it (except for out of stock online stores) was Circuit City in store pickup. I ordered it online and drove down to Delaware (only store to have it, + no tax ) this morning to get it.

They also gave me a free $25 e-gift card with the order, which was cool because it still came out to $250 exactly, same price or cheaper because of no shipping than anyplace else. So yeah, that was good for a couple CD's, just ordered them off the website.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewecallgod View Post
For the Zune, do you have to add music via software? Can I just drag-drop through Explorer?
No, that was one of my complaints in the previous post. You have to use their software, which kind of sucks. It's not too big a deal to me though, I had to use Winamp for my Creative Zen Touch because if I used explorer, track numbers wouldn't transfer. Maybe MS will make a firmware update to allow it, they've been on a roll with these updates..

Luckily it's easy to just add music straight to the device with drag and drop through the software, don't even have to add it to the terrible media library first

edit: Finished syncing my library to the device, just listening to it now! Sounds quite a bit better than the old Creative Zen Touch IMO, on the same headphones..

Additional Comment:

Figured out how to create Zune-compatible H264 video with AAC audio from any .avi file with a free program called megui. If anyone's interested, let me know and I might create a guide. There's a bit of custom profile creating involved, the Zune has some restrictions on h264 settings - if they aren't correct, the software will convert before sending it, taking forever and reducing quality. AAC and H264 encoding takes about 45 minutes - 1 hour on my 3GHz single core, dual and quads will be way faster - x264 is multithreaded

Last edited by repoman : 11-19-2007 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
Sephious
"Doctor"

And I still haven't received mine yet

I've asked the seller where it is, but he hasn't responded yet. If he says he has shipped it, should I still file a missing item claim or is there something else I should do?

(This is with eBay)

I want to take action as soon as he responds, because I only have another two weeks to file a claim with Paypal if it comes to that.
Canada  Offline
Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
Gremlin256
Extreme Overclocker

Repoman : can you please create a guide?

I created a folder where zune syncs music from. I just put the music in that folder and it syncs it up.
United States  Offline
Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #18
Computer101
is AFK

I just bought a 30gb brown zune from newegg for $100, its a little big, but its okay with me. I love it so far.
United States  Offline
Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #19
repoman
You have my Axe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin256 View Post
Repoman : can you please create a guide?

I created a folder where zune syncs music from. I just put the music in that folder and it syncs it up.
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=276005
United States  Offline
Old 01-07-2008, 04:00 AM   #20
emily
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thumbs up Share :how to convert dvd and video to zune

Share how to convert dvd and video to zune
1. Free download Zune Video Converter + DVD to Zune Suite at http://www.*****************/Zune-***************,dvd-to-Zune,dvd-to-Zune-converter,Zune-converter.html, install and launch.
[IMG]http://www.*****************/zuneconverter1.gif[/IMG]
2. Click DVD to Zune Converter component, load your DVD by clicking 'Open DVD' button or choosing 'Open DVD' from 'File' drop down menu, choose the DVD ROM in your PC, it will take you to the DVD menu in the player screen.
[IMG]http://www.*****************/zuneconverter2.gif[/IMG]
3. Click the "Setting" and go to menu "Subtitle", Set Subtitle to what you like.

4. Click the "Setting" and go to menu "Audio Track", Set audiotrack to what you like. To 'Output Folder', Enter the full pathname or choose the path where you want to save your video files by clicking 'Output folder'. The default output format is WMV, which natively supported by Zune. You can also hit "Setting -> Output settings", select other output formats you like (MP4, H.264, WMV7/8/9, MP3, WMA, etc.)

5. The converter will automaticly detect the main movie of your DVDs, it will popup with below window to let you make a decision, just keep the setting of "Record from movie start point" and output file size setting, the default setting is the best for good quality and compact output file size, click "Yes" to start ripping DVD to Zune video files.
Tips: You can also just record any part of movie by drag the slide bar to where you want to start, and click the "Convert" button, please select "Record from current time point". This provide you with more flexibility.

[IMG]http://www.*****************/zuneconverter3.gif[/IMG]
6. Find the .wmv or .mp4 file that DVD to Zune converter created and add it into your Zune software library.

7. Load the .mp4 or .wmv files to Zune by clicking 'Sync contenct to and from your Zune'. Done!

[IMG]http://www.*****************/zuneconverter4.gif[/IMG]
http://www.*****************/Zune-***************,dvd-to-Zune,dvd-to-Zune-converter,Zune-converter.html
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply