EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Network Hardware (Wired & Wireless)
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Zer0Cool
Extreme Overclocker

Question Best GAMING Router ?

Hello,

I am looking to get a good gaming router. I play multiplayer games a lot, so having a good ping and less lag is everything for me. I do NOT use wireless signal, my computer is connected via Ethernet cable. However my father does use wireless, but he doesn’t need anything special. I also do lots of web browsing/downloading.

I was looking at:

D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router - 300Mbps 802.11n 4-Port Gigabit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127243

What ya guys think?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Fourth
Dimension, The

Any decent router will do... you dont need to buy any of those special "gaming" routers because the bottleneck to the internet is the soft limits set by your ISP. Hell, I don't think there is any game that transfers enough information to even take advantage of gigabit router. hell, if you have a spare computer laying around and an extra ethernet adapter, you can set up a smoothwall box and it will probably run better than most consumer routers. thats why i did and i dont think ive had to reboot the thing once since i finally got it set up.

also note, you selected a wireless n router and said you dont use wireless and you father doesn't need anything special.
United States  Offline
Old 02-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Zer0Cool
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth View Post
Any decent router will do... you dont need to buy any of those special "gaming" routers because the bottleneck to the internet is the soft limits set by your ISP. Hell, I don't think there is any game that transfers enough information to even take advantage of gigabit router. hell, if you have a spare computer laying around and an extra ethernet adapter, you can set up a smoothwall box and it will probably run better than most consumer routers. thats why i did and i dont think ive had to reboot the thing once since i finally got it set up.

also note, you selected a wireless n router and said you dont use wireless and you father doesn't need anything special.
The main reason I like this router is because; "GAMEFUEL PRIORITY -
Nothing ruins a frag-fest faster than lag. GameFuel allows you to customize your network settings to prioritize game traffic so your roommate doesn't hog all the bandwidth while downloading tracks from his favorite 80's hair band." This refers to my brother

Yes, I do NOT use wireless, but now days all good routers come with wireless signal...It still has 4 Ethernet ports in the back.
United States  Offline
Old 02-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

Just get something that runs DD-WRT like a La Fonera or a Linksys WRT54 series. That works great for me.
United States  Offline
Old 02-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
BigO
Bored At Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Just get something that runs DD-WRT like a La Fonera or a Linksys WRT54 series. That works great for me.
dude you should write a script that automatically puts this replay in every topic with "router" in it
United States  Offline
Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
daboogas94e
Soulja Boy

i just flashed my Buffalo with DD-WRT and love it!!!!!!!
United States  Offline
Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
drake85
I pressed the button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool View Post
The main reason I like this router is because; "GAMEFUEL PRIORITY -
Nothing ruins a frag-fest faster than lag. GameFuel allows you to customize your network settings to prioritize game traffic so your roommate doesn't hog all the bandwidth while downloading tracks from his favorite 80's hair band." This refers to my brother

Yes, I do NOT use wireless, but now days all good routers come with wireless signal...It still has 4 Ethernet ports in the back.
So get a descent router and use QoS, that's all the "Gamefuel Priority" crap is. My biggest thing on routers is they have to have a lot of RAM. If you have a brother/room mate or someone that likes to torrent, have them adjust their settings for lower connections as higher connections tend to kill routers that don't have enough RAM (even with DD-WRT Mr.Obvious).
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
Fourth
Dimension, The

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake85 View Post
So get a descent router and use QoS, that's all the "Gamefuel Priority" crap is. My biggest thing on routers is they have to have a lot of RAM. If you have a brother/room mate or someone that likes to torrent, have them adjust their settings for lower connections as higher connections tend to kill routers that don't have enough RAM (even with DD-WRT Mr.Obvious).
Indeed... saturation is a huge issue with routers as they try to make them cheaper. This is part of the reason I suggested a smoothwall box, simply because you get everything a normal router gives you and the virtual inability to saturate it because its way more processor and ram than pretty much any consumer router you can purchase(and thats assuming you use a ****box machine like i did).
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
drake85
I pressed the button!

I was thinking this morning - is your brother computer savy? If no, go in and change Windows TCP/IP max connection limit to 5. It'll kill his computer for browsing and slow down his torrenting
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Zer0Cool
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
I was thinking this morning - is your brother computer savy? If no, go in and change Windows TCP/IP max connection limit to 5. It'll kill his computer for browsing and slow down his torrenting
lol thanks for advice, I don’t think I want to kill his browsing. Eventually he will come running to me asking me to fix it, and he wouldn’t stop until its fixed, he plays wow a lot, lol u know how wow players feel about there connection. For some reason I thought that there were such a thing like Gaming router, but after reading more of ur posts, I guess no.

So in the end guys, what would u suggest I do? Should I just stick with my current Linksys old router? Isn’t there a router that can boost my net performance at all?
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
drake85
I pressed the button!

Just curious, but what linksys router do you have currently?

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool View Post
lol thanks for advice, I don’t think I want to kill his browsing. Eventually he will come running to me asking me to fix it, and he wouldn’t stop until its fixed, he plays wow a lot, lol u know how wow players feel about there connection. For some reason I thought that there were such a thing like Gaming router, but after reading more of ur posts, I guess no. ...
Oh it wont kill it completely. Just so that when he torrents, he wont be able to browse all that well. Then you can say don't torrent so much .

Last edited by drake85 : 02-28-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
bravotsx
Space Monkey

so which router has a good amount of ram? My WRT54GL w/ DD-WRT seems to slow to a crawl with ~500 connections, and it has 16mb. I've even overclocked the CPU to 225MHz...
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Zer0Cool
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Just curious, but what linksys router do you have currently?

Additional Comment:

Oh it wont kill it completely. Just so that when he torrents, he wont be able to browse all that well. Then you can say don't torrent so much .
Thanks for the tip, Im at work now, when I get home il give u model number, I think its one of the WRT models.
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
bfun
Puddin Power

My last Microsoft router added about 40ms to my latency which was really bad. I suppose the processor speed is important.
United States  Offline
Old 02-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
drake85
I pressed the button!

Lol, and not using a layer 7 router would help too (MS has to go through all 7 layers before it routes the packets... stupid microsoft).
United States  Offline
Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
Mr. Man
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

use QOS to give priority to your games and your all set
United States  Offline
Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #17
Zoomer
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Linksys WRT54GL with custom firmware FTW!!!!!
United States  Offline
Old 03-08-2008, 03:54 AM   #18
pheonix991
Hehe

My wrt54g died... Stupid wireless. At least the 4pots work! I'll use it when I move out. Till then, little useless lan in my room!
United States  Offline
Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 AM   #19
Zoomer
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix991 View Post
My wrt54g died... Stupid wireless. At least the 4pots work! I'll use it when I move out. Till then, little useless lan in my room!

*Sings* Poor WRT54G is dead! Poor WRT54G! /*Singing*
United States  Offline
Old 03-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #20
chvell
Relentless Patience

wired routers are best for gaming

If you can't use a wired one than the one your looking at is the best IMO.
For a wired router the D-Link DGL 4100 is best. I wouldn't use a wireless conn. for gaming.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply