EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Instant
Learning To Overclock

Exclamation OC Guide for P5Q-E + E8400 combo

Disclaimer
The following is a guide to overclock the above mentioned combo. Please note that even though you may have the same chip/motherboard combo, differences in memory type, OS and others may give you some different results. Please take YOUR particular hardware/software into consideration and adapt accordingly. No member or EOF staff is responsible for the results. Use the following at your own risk... although we do try to make it as safe as possible!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Introduction

Since this combo of motherboard and processor is fairly popular, I've decided to make a thread dedicated to OCing them. As most of you regulars know, splave has the exact same combination and really managed to push it to the limit. He has kindly accepted to provide his knowledge and experience to this giude. Hopefully, some people will appreciate finding everything they need to know in one thread. I will start with some basic OC that I have done and move on from there with the help of splave.

Hardware and Specs

• Asus P5Q-E (BIOS rev. 1003) and Intel E8400 (3GHz stock)
  • Antec True Power Trio 650W Power Supply
  • Antec P-182 Case
  • Thermalright Ultra-120 Extremem with Flex 120mm - 63CFM - AS-5 thermal paste
  • OCZ Reaper HPC - PC6400 - DDR2-800 - 2G - (2 x 1024MB)
  • Asus nVidia 9700GT - 512MB
  • Windows XP Home 32bit
Basic Overclocking

Multiplier: 9
FSB: 425
Speed: 3825MHz
Vcore: 1.328V (CPU-Z reading)
Memory timings: 4-4-4-12
Vdimm: 2.10
Idle temp: 39C (both cores)
Load: 56C (both cores) *Not stable so it might be higher

Right now, the systems works but fails to pass on Orthos. Super Pi 1K calculation is done in 12.
140sec. The above is only a rough OC that is based on the values that passed easily on a P5Q + E8400 combo. For some unknown reason, the P5Q-E doesn't seem to like those settings.

A thing our friend splave can probably easily fix...

Take it away, mate!

Last edited by Instant : 08-01-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
splave
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
will take some shots of my bios at lunch and update to the latest bios (thanks for the heads up)
First thing I could see is maybe try loosening up your ram to 5-5-5-15 for now while maxing the cpu
United States  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
reverandmaynard
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by splave View Post
will take some shots of my bios at lunch and update to the latest bios (thanks for the heads up)
First thing I could see is maybe try loosening up your ram to 5-5-5-15 for now while maxing the cpu
Bang on splave.

EDIT: Just got these settings from a dude's post at XS. He's running 625x6 using water cooling.

"I need to set DRAM Read Training - Disabled, CPU Clock Skew 400 and NB Clock Skew 200...

vCPU: 1.32 V (1.325 in Bios)
vCPU PLL: 1.56V
vFSB: 1.30 V
vNB: 1.50 V
vSB: 1.10
vPCIE: 1.50"

Last edited by reverandmaynard : 08-01-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Canada  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
splave
Banned!
Banned
here are some screenies for an easy 4.0ghz (kidz stuff) with a e8400

Some explanations:
I OC like I golf. I dont use my putter first, I use my driver. I have my ram set at the manuf voltage 2.3v and its underclocked with loose timings. What you need to do first is jack your cpu, the fine tunning/putting will come later.

Performance level option I set to 11, could probably go to 10 under 460ish but I cant boot above that without setting it to 11. Rev mentioned auto works, never tryed it but Im sure he is right because he is Rev .

clock twister is a weird option, Ive played with it a bit and found instability when changing it to stronger or strong on a 9 hour prime stable config so leave it at lighter/light for now.

NB voltage probably doesnt even need 1.26v but I set it there anyway to rule that out of the equation. It doesnt even feel warm to the touch here and is plenty safe.

Termination voltage is fine on auto.

CPU and PCI spread both disabled. I also disable all CPU options as well.

Finally vcore you shouldnt need over 1.4v for 4ghz to atleast boot. If you cant something else is the issue.

Going to try the new bios and see if its any better. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SN850726.jpg
Views:	6847
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	121128  Click image for larger version

Name:	SN850727.jpg
Views:	5549
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	121129  Click image for larger version

Name:	SN850729.jpg
Views:	5652
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	121130  Click image for larger version

Name:	SN850730.jpg
Views:	4818
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	121131  
United States  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
reverandmaynard
Banned!
Banned
lol, nice man. 2.3v for your ram? DAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNN!

btw splave I'm a hard core golfer....nice reference.
Canada  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
BabyGorilla
Banned!
Banned
People use their putter first????

Anyway, Nice start to the guide, you have all the right parts to make it solid. Cant wait to see the final results...

I golf too...w00t! But I am a better golfer I will bet... why you ask? b/c I am left handed...

Additional Comment:

Soo umm, I was just thinking.. can I add in my info about the Q9450 overclocking or should I take that party to another thread?

Last edited by BabyGorilla : 08-01-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
reverandmaynard
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremexglok View Post

Anyway, Nice start to the guide, you have all the right parts to make it solid. Cant wait to see the final results...

I golf too...w00t! But I am a better golfer I will bet... why you ask? b/c I am left handed...

Additional Comment:

Soo umm, I was just thinking.. can I add in my info about the Q9450 overclocking or should I take that party to another thread?
Okay there Mickelson lol.
Canada  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
splave
Banned!
Banned
add it fo sho, Im a better golf then you both combined jk
United States  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
BabyGorilla
Banned!
Banned
You probably are. My friends call me Fosters (Austrailian beer) as a nickname on the course b/c I have such a slice that if it stayed in the air long enough, it would be a boomerang!!!!

Ok, I will add some stuff late tonight..
United States  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
Instant
Learning To Overclock

Quote:

Additional Comment:

It would be better, for the sake of keeping this thread on topic, which is a P5Q-E + E8400 combo, that you start another thread with your particular chip and make a guide similar to this one. Would be of great help to others that have the same chip as you. Good idea to join this "guide project" and do it for your chip!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm back from my work and will implement the changes suggested. Will test and submit the results soon.

Cheers!
Canada  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
BabyGorilla
Banned!
Banned
Ok...though its essentially the same mobo. I figured more people would have the board than just our 2 chips and it should be setup more for the board, than for the chip (it would be applicable to a more broad audience).

Also, memory timings shouldnt be in here. Other people have other memory/timings. Or at minimum a disclaimer. People are lemmings and will try those settings even though they dont have the same system.
Temps..YOUR temps, shouldnt be in here either as those will vary significantly. Things need to be setup a bit more generic...or again, a disclaimer.
United States  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
splave
Banned!
Banned
here is the 1003 bios
http://users.pandora.be/OAP/P5Q-E-ASUS-1003.rar

going to test later

Additional Comment:

oh and there is a beta 1101 floating around but wouldnt use it, many people having stability problems with it

Last edited by splave : 08-01-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #13
reverandmaynard
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
You probably are. My friends call me Fosters (Austrailian beer) as a nickname on the course b/c I have such a slice that if it stayed in the air long enough, it would be a boomerang!!!!

Ok, I will add some stuff late tonight..
I get call Shooter McGavin. Not because I'm a spectacular golfer, but because I point a shoot my finger in the most random, awkward situations. Like at funerals.

I actually do play well, just not well enough to quit my job and join the tour.
Canada  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
VeoDigital
Weather permitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverandmaynard View Post
I get call Shooter McGavin. Not because I'm a spectacular golfer, but because I point a shoot my finger in the most random, awkward situations. Like at funerals.

I actually do play well, just not well enough to quit my job and join the tour.
Aaahhahaha, shooter... someone dies, Rev is giving the ulogy, and the finisher is the index shooter !!
United States  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
Instant
Learning To Overclock

OK, back from testing. Took me a while to bring it to 4GHz as the exact setup from splave would not work on my machine. After checking it out, it hit me; we don't have the same memory! The system boots but is not capable of passing Orthos. Also, temps are a tad high even though I could not run Orthos for a long period; I got up to 60C on both cores and all my fans are maxed out. Here are the settings I am running now:

9 x 450 = 4050MHz
PCIE = 100MHz
Memory Freq. = Auto
DDR2-901MHz (5-5-5-15)
Common Performance Level = 11
CPU Voltage = 1.4125V (1.384V idle - 1.392V loaded)
FSB Termination Volatge: Auto

*** All other settings as per splave's screen shots ***

I found a setting that was not in your BIOS screenies:

CPU Margin Enhancement: [3 options]
  • Optimized
  • Compatible
  • Performance Mode
I have set mine to Performance Mode for now and it works. Right now, I'm a bit confused as to what I should do to make my system more stable and capable of running a blend test on Orthos, while bringing down the temps a bit. I'm getting a bit "ill at ease" as my machine gets closer to 62C. LOL Also, I doubt that I really need all that extra voltage on Vcore. Mind you, I had to push it up in order to boot, so maybe I can't do without it? Not sure. On a brighter note, I can run Super Pi - 1K under 12 sec!!! Whooooooooo hooooooooo! 11.578sec. I know it's not that fast, but it's the best I have acheived so far with an E8400 on air. So allow me my small time (pun intended) victory.

I need some advice as to how to proceed next.

Cheers
Canada  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #16
splave
Banned!
Banned
you could try raising vdimm a notch or 2 but you prob need a bit more vcore. 62c is fine keep it under 70
United States  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
reverandmaynard
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeoDigital View Post
Aaahhahaha, shooter... someone dies, Rev is giving the ulogy, and the finisher is the index shooter !!
you get me.
Canada  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
Instant
Learning To Overclock

Kicked Vdimm to 2.22V and raised Vcore to get 1.40V idle and 1.408V loaded. Still not able to pass Orthos. Again, on a brighter note, Super Pi - 1K- now runs at an "earth shattering" 11.547sec. LMAO!

Seriously though, I have noticed 2 strange things on my machine:
  1. When I shut down, it takes forever and a half. Weird. Never had that problem before.
  2. While running Orthos, I look at the temps in realtemp and I notice some rapid and fairly wide fluctuations. For example, the temps would be at 59C, then suddenly drop to 56C then a second after raise to 60C. In previous tests with my P5Q, I never noticed this strange behavior. Yes, temps would fluctuate a bit, but never to that extent.
Any clues why?

Note: Disclaimer added on first post as per tremexglok's suggestion.
Canada  Offline
Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
splave
Banned!
Banned
try 2.3 and 1.425vcore but no higher as you should hit it fine. could try 500x8 too

temp fluctuation is just between tests and normal
United States  Offline
Old 08-02-2008, 05:44 AM   #20
Instant
Learning To Overclock

Tried it but to no avail. I can not seem to achieve stability at 4GHz no matter how much voltage I pour in the chip. Temps are a bit high, in fact, too high for my liking.

splave, the fluctuations are not in between passes or test, they happen during the test, every few seconds. It is not normal behavior because I have never seen this before. I tested my sensors are they are in perfect condition as per realtemp. If the temps drop like that, I tend to believe that the voltage must drop as well if only for a second. How could that be? The PSU is more than enough in terms of power. It doesn't make sense.

Another thing that I have noticed that is weird is when I applied more voltage to the RAM, it actually made my Super Pi result slower! Not by much, only a fraction of second, but still, it was slower. Upon returning to previous voltage (lower), the results returned to exactly what they were (faster), down to the 3rd decimal.

Right now, I have throttled back to 3825 because I need to work with my machine and need stability. I will post later on some other questions about this board. Meanwhile, did you check your BIOS for that "new" seeting at the end of the AI Tweaking section?
Canada  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply