EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Antivirus & Spyware
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Jason
The Mad Beaker
Administrator

Norton Internet Security Online For Free (If you are an ATT/Yahoo Customer)

I do a lot of PC work for friends, and friends of friends unfortunatly... (I know, I need to get me a t-shirt that says "I will not fix your computer".)

But anyhow, most of them have the ATT/Yahoo DSL. Sadly though they have no AV/Spyware protection on their PC (which is the usual problem with their computer and why I'm fixing their PC in the first place)...

If you go to the AT&T Yahoo! Software Center and login using their email account info, you can install several products free.

One of the products is "Norton Internet Security Online", which is basically NIS minus the phishing protection (as far as I can tell). There is no expiration (as far as I can tell), and it is version 2007. I think you can install up to like half a dozen copies per account (so all PCs in a home would be protected).

I know many people don't like Norton... but free is free, and it's still a quality program.

I'm sure comcast and other ISPs have similar offerings. So if you ever do some freelance computer work for someone, check with their ISP to see what AV software they let you download and install for free. Anything is better than nothing, especially for novice users that like to click any link they see...
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

I don't like Norton because it is crap. I think a better option is to use Avira or Spyware Terminator and a nice software firewall (not ZA PLEASE!!!) like Comodo, Kerio, or OA.
United States  Offline
Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Josie Wales
Extreme Overclocker

McAfee Security Suite free for Comcast Subscribers

Comcast offers the McAfee Security Suite for free to Comcast subscribers. It includes a firewall, AV/AS, a file shredder, and other features. As Jason said "Anything is better than nothing, especially for novice users that like to click any link they see... "
United States  Offline
Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

Yeah but if you can give them good software it is worth it.
United States  Offline
Old 08-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
dygital
LOL MONEY, MONEY LOL
Retired Staff

I wouldn't recommend Norton for anyone even if they paid people to use their resource-hogging software.

I'll stick with what works, what is effective and what is free. Norton has one of the slowest response times to outbreaks in the wild, which is only going to get worse.

AVG is decent, albeit some recent performance issues.
Avast! is great, albeit some e-mail connectivity concerns.
Avira is the best, albeit the promotional upgrade pop-up. (Of which, can be blocked in Windows Vista, by using native security controls.)
McAfee Security Suite is mediocre, albeit some performance and detection concerns. (Referring to the one that AOL gives to free for all AOL/AIM users.)
Norton is junk, but if someone likes blinking lights and 15+ processes scanning your activity excessively; then it's ok.
United States  Offline
Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

Avira > all for free, NOD32 > all for paid. /thread

I just use ST because of the spyware scanner.
United States  Offline
Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Jason
The Mad Beaker
Administrator

My favorite "pay" software would be Kaspersky Internet Security. Though I haven't used v7 yet, but I can only assume it is better than v6 going from their track record.
United States  Offline
Old 08-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
IceDragon
EOCF Dragon Mascot

I would't even install Norton if they paid me.
England  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply