EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Processors
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
maxmetalman
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Core i7 920 with Intel DX58SO

I need a little advice on an overclock that has done well for me lately, but would like to know what I can do to add just a little more speed to my 3D renders.

If anyone is using an Intel DX58SO and a Core i7 920 together please give me some tips as to what settings you are using for
your overclock.

I only made 2 simple adjustments to my OC

1. Increase core voltage to 1.3 volts
2. Increase 133 multiplier to 166.

Now the system runs very reliably at 3.5 Ghz. I can send it 3D render jobs (that 3 - 4 times faster than my Core 2 Duo) to complete, and it does them without any issues at all. Temperatures stay at 62C under full load because I have a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366RT CPU Cooler.

For memory I am using Corsair 6GB XMS3-1600 PC3-12800, rated at 9-9-9-24 at 1.65V. So I do know this memory will take overclocking. One thing I find hard to get information on, (I have searched many forums) is people using the Intel motherboard for overclocking. The forums and information out there is loaded with ASUS and Gigabyte information, (which have
their BIOS menus looking different) because those boards were marketted towards overclockers. The reality is, the Intel board overclocks just fine! You can even use the Intel Desktop Control Center and change the settings within Windows!

Something that I have noticed about using Intel Desktop Control Center is conveniant. If you try to use settings that don't work well, the program stops responding. You quit the program and try again with different settings. This is nice because you get a small time saver by you not having to reboot, not have the system post, and have to reset etc.

If anyone knows of some very simple settings to change that they are using with their Intel DX58SO and Core i7 920 I would appreciate it alot. In plain easy english because I am just getting used to OC lingo talk! I would like to move up to 3.6 to 4.0 Ghz and that would be just fine. So far the performance has been astounding so even if I am not going any higher, I will
be fine. One question I have is definately about core voltage. Why do you need to increase it? (Ans aside from processor lifespan, does increasing it hurt anything) And QPI. What is it exactly?

This post: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/....php?p=3496262

Shows alot of information relating to how the settings react to eachother, but honestly, I have never overclocked before and I find this much information a little over my head (I also am still a little scared of overclocking further than I already have because I am new at it). It almost seems like you would need a Excel sheet or some type of calculator to know what settings would work properly.

Any help would be appreciated, especially from anyone who has the Intel DX58SO board.
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Please Register to Post a Reply