EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Video Cards, TV Tuners, Monitors > General Video Card Discussion
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
jeeves
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

5830 Overclock w/ Pencil Mod

I just got an HIS iCooler V 5830 off of newegg for $200 and was pretty upset when I found out it didn't have a voltage controller (I didn't know to look for a reference board). I spent a whole day flashing bioses and whatnot, but I found out that HIS probably didn't put a voltage controller. I found this pencil mod for the 5830 today and tried it and got some pretty awesome overclocks.

Core: 800 MHz stock @ 1.14V to 1025 MHz @ 1.27 V (measured w/ voltmeter)
Memory: 1000 MHz stock to 1325 MHz

Crysis benchmark highest temp: 62C in 22C room @ 100% fan

Running the crysis gpu benchmark at all full settings and with full AA at 1280x1024, i went from 30.32 to 36.69 FPS.

Conclusion: You can get about a 20% performance increase out of a 5830 if you feel like doing a pencil mod. I might try upping the voltage more tomorrow. I got up to 1.32V with the pencil mod, but it became abit unstable. Not sure if this is because of temps or what, because my core temp is fine. Maybe some other component is heating up.

Because the instructions in the post I linked to aren't clear, if anyone wants to try it, I thought I'd post instructions.

NOTE: These pictures are from Meaker's post I made a link to above.

If you lay your card with pcb facing up and pci-e female plugs facing you, the top left pci-e solder point is ground

1. Set your multimeter to kOhms scale.
2. Using the first picture (where it points to pencil mod) find the two pins it refers to in the second picture (the two in the box).
3. If you have your graphics card w/ pcb up on your desk with the female pci-e plugs facing you, place one contact of your voltmeter on the bottom solder point (the lower one of the two you found in step 2).
4. Place the other multimeter contact on the ground (top left pci-e power solder point)
5. You should get somewhere around 5 kOhms.
6. Lightly draw between the two solder points in step 2 with a pencil.
7. Blow off excess graphite
8. Measure resistance like you did in steps 3-4. Play with the amount of shading between the two points until you get to about .3 to .4 kOhms below your initial reading.
9. Plug your card back in.
10. Measure your core voltage while running something graphics intensive like crysis by placing one contact of your multimeter on ground and the other on the solder point in the first picture labeled VGPU measure.
11. You can slowly lower resistance to up the voltage.

Absolutely do not do this without a multimeter, because it's really easy to shade too much without knowing it and maybe overheat your card. I'm not responsible if something happens to your card if you try this.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Please Register to Post a Reply