EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Processors
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 07-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Trapjaw
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Dell-Alienware Aurora Intel i7 930 2.8ghz

Anyone know the quality/batch numbers they use in their machines?
I have one on the way and yes im going to overclock it to around 3.2ghz> id rather do it myself than pay them 150$ to do it for me
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 07-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Deluded
ya rly

Not really, they dont hand out that kind of info. i7 930 is pretty much a guaranteed i7 D0 batch, which does 4.0 Ghz at 1.2-1.3 vcore, more or less.
United States  Offline
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
fearthisneo
Overclocker

best bet is to pull off the cooler and look at the numbers on the cpu. Although you should be able to hit 3.2 with no problem
United States  Offline
Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
Trapjaw
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

great. sounds good. to further elaborate since im semi new here (been browsing for years)..

my current system is:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @2.27ghz
3gb Corsair XMS cmx1024 3200c2pt ram
ATI Radeon Hd 3850 1gb ddr2 pcie gfx card
Win7 64-bit Ultimate with a 4.1 score

I hated to not build my own, i usually do. But this time around i figured i'd just buy one. I had problems with my asus a8n-sli board with the cmos resetting every time the power was shut off to the psu or if the power went out during a storm and whatever. Never could figure out what it was. Even put a new cmos battery in, checked jumpers, bios settings and it still did it. Having to reconfigure the bios every time the pc lost power has been annoying but i can do it so fast now its become second nature after like 4 years.

The NIC card burnt out one time during a storm when lightning struck, surge protector didnt save it. Figure it came through the cable modem in the coax since it wasnt ran through the surge. Then last month a storm fried my power supply so i had to replace that with a downgrade due to the pc store here in town not carrying anything over 500w

Its been a good pc so far. Still plays most games like WoW, TF2, UT3, Doom3, Q4 all at decent frames. But all I play is WoW now, and will be getting Guild Wars 2 when it comes out. Other than that my FPS gaming days are over. The new pc will be mainly used for making music once I get a good studio audio interface to go in it. Maybe then I'll be able to use FLstudio without it crashing or using up all my ram and redlining my cpu... Might even switch to pro-tools, ableton or cuebase If I ever get motivated to learn them

The new pc will be:

i7 quad 930 2.8ghz 8mb cache (nice middle ground)
12gb 1333 ram (figured the 1600 wasnt worth the price)
2x 1gb DDR5 HD 5670s (HD 5870s is just overkill for my gaming)
1tb raid0 (500x2) sataII 7200rpm 16mb cache (wanted 10k rpm but meh.)
Single blu ray combo drive. reads br and writes to dvd/cd
875watt psu (guess this is sufficient, was stock.. no choice to upgrade)

lot of **** money for a case.. haha
o well I wanted an IMac for music but they are way too gimped, like $1600 bucks for 4gb and a core 2 duo 3ghz cpu and even more expensive to add additional ram, like 1k for a 12gb upgrade. $3300 fully upgraded.. I can accomplish just as much on a PC. Man I type a crapload sry for the waste of space lol.
thanks.
United States  Offline
Old 07-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
Deluded
ya rly

Wow lol, you're making quite the jump then. I'm not sure how that 5670 will handle your gaming (WoW should be fine, other games I'm not sure), but everything looks ok.

One thing: it doesn't mention a motherboard? It's entirely possible that Alienware can flash the motherboard to their own modded BIOS which eliminates any chances of overclocking. It's one thing to look into, though I've seen other cases of alienware being overclockable (though CPU-Z reported the motherboard to be of alienware brand).

a 3.2 overclock can be very easily done on stock vcore. Don't bother turning up vcore... those i7 are fantastic, they just overclock and go and go and go until they hit a limit (usually heat related). You'll be fine.
United States  Offline
Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Trapjaw
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Yea Ive wondered about their boards too and all that.. Sometimes they can stick a factory mobo in that's just a green pegboard. Then your stuck with like some crap intel board i had once before my asus. I even think my 2nd pc was a dell xpsb1000r? and had a Intel board in it. I cant remember being able to do anything with it. But that's been like 10yr ago.

I might call them or chat online with them to see. Plus i chose no mouse like a tard when the stock mouse was free anyways haha.. was too busy messing with their ******ed java script bugging on me when i was trying different configurations to see the differences in price.

but yea, overall its a huge upgrade for me. been chugging along for right at 4 or 5 years now on this thing.
United States  Offline
Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Trapjaw
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeathx View Post
Not to be offensive but whoever buys a Dell has to be whacked!! LOL Kidding. last one you will buy for sure.
Last one as in. "he's set to constantly upgrade in the future" or "oh man did you screw up and wont ever buy another one of them things again" ?
lol

Either way I'm frothing at the mouth for it to get here. There's only one problem.. well, two.
I think it will be too big to hide from the wife! she doesn't know yet...
And I don't have a job at the moment
So I gotta get one between now and the 12th. Or I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do..
United States  Offline
Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
jjjc_93
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapjaw View Post
Last one as in. "he's set to constantly upgrade in the future" or "oh man did you screw up and wont ever buy another one of them things again" ?
lol

Either way I'm frothing at the mouth for it to get here. There's only one problem.. well, two.
So I gotta get one between now and the 12th. Or I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do..
Option B: Pre-built machines suck 99% of us build our own machines.

Probably should have told the wife first buddy
Australia  Offline
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
RyninDaCleM
Go EXTREME or go Home

Quote:

Ouch! better start splainin'. Hey don't those things light up like a Christmas tree. That'll be hard to hide. Anyway nice parts list. I hope it OC's for ya!
United States  Offline
Old 07-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
csutton24
Clocking On!

Haha, no way are you hiding it from the wife, first of all Dell ships this in a HUGE box. Stands about 4 feet tall.

Then the machine itself is not all that tall, but the cases are long and very heavy.

As for taking the heatsink off to see the processor. Just make sure you know what your doing. Pretty sure this comes with the water cooling system.
United States  Offline
Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
Trapjaw
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

lol yea it shipped supposedly yesterday. and is expected to be here the 3rd ( was originally the 12th) dunno what changed.. but also it says 15lbs (figured it would be around 80lb+)... either they got it wrong or they're shipping the monitor separate/early. now i have less time to find a job b4 it gets here! o well its gonna be worth it regardless of it being a pre-fab. just glad to get something that doesnt chug at 4fps in 25mans or redline my cpu in flstudio.

oops my bad. had two different numbers, i was only clicking the top one for tracking it via fedex. the 2nd package is 58lb. both in Ft. Worth TX now..
should be here quick. I wouldnt be suprised if it was here tomorrow or sat. fedex runs on sat i think.

Additional Comment:

Finally got it. Hows it look?

I noticed the vcore keeps fluctuating from like .96-1.24+ is that normal?
Bios is so old school looking. Theres this program on the pc that is annoying as hell called Intel Performance Utility. I opened it last night and it took 2 hours to do its thing which I tried to cancel it but it seemed to want to finish regardless. Blue screened the pc and rebooted it a few times. Think i'll be deleting it.

Havent touched the gpu (core 400 & ram 900) or memory (642.1mhz, 2:8, 9,9,9,24,88,2t. NB Freq=3210.5mhz).

Last edited by Trapjaw : 08-05-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Deluded
ya rly

Quote:
Finally got it. Hows it look?

I noticed the vcore keeps fluctuating from like .96-1.24+ is that normal?
Bios is so old school looking. Theres this program on the pc that is annoying as hell called Intel Performance Utility. I opened it last night and it took 2 hours to do its thing which I tried to cancel it but it seemed to want to finish regardless. Blue screened the pc and rebooted it a few times. Think i'll be deleting it.

Havent touched the gpu (core 400 & ram 900) or memory (642.1mhz, 2:8, 9,9,9,24,88,2t. NB Freq=3210.5mhz).
Yup, is normal. That's the power savings. C1E and speedstep.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply