EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | $ EXTREME Deals $ | RealTime Pricing | Free Magazines | Gear | Folding Stats Newsletter | Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Intel Specific > Intel Processors
Register Forum Rules FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Agencyman
Running System Stock

i7-2600K and FSB

Need an experienced hand to offer some guidance.

(I tried reading through the 4GHz club, and few posts showed the processor without going to the enlargements, but one or two had FSB's of around 100.)

I'm used to C2D with 400+ FSB speeds, and this is important for best actual crunching throughput.

I just built and delivered, (no more time to experiment), a customer unit of this processor and an ASUS Maximus IV.

I delivered it at 4.6 GHz, FSB 100MHz, and what seems a horrible FSB/DRAM of 1:6, but didn't have time to try to bump the FSB, don't even know if I can do that and leave CPU idle-down characteristics operational.

TIA!,
Bruce Hinton
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
_DOM_
Overclocker

SB oc with the multi not FSB
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
RyninDaCleM
Go EXTREME or go Home

These don't have FSB. These have QPI. The BClk = Base Clock = 100MHz. The BClk can be changed only slightly. The CPU multiplier on unlocked chips is where the OC comes from. The 1:6 "FSB": DRAM is different because, higher speed of DDR3 RAM. That puts your RAM @1200, probably underclocked.
To explain the BClk further, to overclock these platforms, you would leave the BClk @100, then raise the multi of everything else.
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Agencyman
Running System Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyninDaCleM View Post
These don't have FSB. These have QPI. The BClk = Base Clock = 100MHz. The BClk can be changed only slightly. The CPU multiplier on unlocked chips is where the OC comes from. The 1:6 "FSB": DRAM is different because, higher speed of DDR3 RAM. That puts your RAM @1200, probably underclocked.
To explain the BClk further, to overclock these platforms, you would leave the BClk @100, then raise the multi of everything else.
Thanks for the confirmation guys! That is exactly what I did to get the 4.6GHz. Left BCLK at 100 even, I did tweak a couple of voltages VERY slightly. The RAM is four sticks of:
  • Module Size: 2GB
  • Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMM
  • Feature: DDR3 PC3-12800
  • Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800 8-8-8-24 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR3-1600 1.65V 256Meg x 64

Amazing processor and board.

Bruce
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

For future reference, as others have stated current generation Sandy-Bridge processors do not change their bclk frequency. On some boards it is technically possible to do (with K series processors), however you can only get about 5MHz at best before it will become unstable. Sandy-Bridge chips are designed to be overclocked by the multiplier only.

The down side to this, as you've noticed, as that you pretty much completely loose the ability to overclock your RAM with anything finer than changing the BCLK: DRAM ratio.

Last edited by AruisDante : 05-13-2011 at 01:16 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Agencyman
Running System Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AruisDante View Post
The down side to this, as you've noticed, as that you pretty much completely loose the ability to overclock your RAM with anything finer than changing the BCLKRAM ratio.
Now that is what I wished to have time for: Based on the RAM specs., above, what do you guess would be the potential for a better ratio?

Bruce
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
RyninDaCleM
Go EXTREME or go Home

Run DRAM @8x or 1:8 ratio. Gives you 1600MHz. Set to rated voltage and timings.
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Agencyman
Running System Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyninDaCleM View Post
Run DRAM @8x or 1:8 ratio. Gives you 1600MHz. Set to rated voltage and timings.
Thanks for the info, I will see about the ratio change. Odd to go the other way from trying to get to 1:1!

The timings are at spec 8-8-8-24, V is 1.65 also on spec.

Bruce
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Aye, as long as the memory is running at it's rated speed you'll be OK. I haven't messed with ratios in a long time. As long as my memory is at or near the rated speed, and my processor is overclocked, I really don't give a care.
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Sparkey247
Crazy Bones

back with the core 2's the memory controller was on board, which yielded FSB speeds all over the place. starting with socket 1366 the memory controller was moved on die (like amd's HT) intel calls it QPI. With socket 1366 you can still oc via the BCLK were as S.B. its all multi. supposedly i heard some where that the enthusiast S.B. are supposed to give you more freedom with the BCLK or was that Ivy Bridge
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
AruisDante
Son of Sanguinius

Sandy-Bridge-E (Socket 2011) supposedly brings back the ability to adjust QPI, as well as a dedicated northbridge.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply